This is the world of quantum mechanics, which is what I do for a living.
這里是量子力學的世界,那是我謀生的地方。
It's in quantum theory that we hope to find the answers
在量子論里,我們希望找到的答案:
that Einstein searched for his dying day to understand how gravity behaved at the very beginning of time.
是愛因斯坦苦苦探索的時間開始之時,引力是如何表現的。
If we can figure out how gravity works at the level of the smallest sub-atomic particles,
一旦我們弄清楚了在最小的,亞原子粒子層面上的引力作用,
then maybe we can finish what Newton and Einstein started,
那么我們就能夠完成牛頓和愛因斯坦開始的事業,
and form a complete picture of this mysterious force of gravity.
形成一張這個神秘的引力完整的描述。
To achieve this goal, we have to try to recreate the conditions of the Big Bang here on Earth,
為了達到這個目標,我們必須在地球上再現大爆炸的景象,
and peer deep into the heart of the sub-atomic world.
深入到亞原子世界里去觀察。
'This place is Fermilab, and I used to work here.
這個地方是費米實驗室,我曾經在這里工作過。
It's home to the Tevatron particle accelerator.
這是正負質子對撞機的老家。
The Tevatron basically works by bashing stuff together,
正負質子對撞機工作的基本原理是讓事物撞擊在一起。
and seeing what comes out.
來看看會有什么結果。
What we do is we take protons, and we accelerate them around that way,
我們做的就是把質子沿著軌道進行加速,
and anti-matter protons, send them around that way,
還有反質子,同樣沿著軌道加速,
and they pass by here 50,000 times a second, very close to the speed of light,
它們被加速到每秒五萬周,非常接近光速時,
and then we collide them together, we smash them together.
然后我們將它們相撞在一起,猛烈碰撞在一起。
It's though collisions like these that the nature of matter has been revealed.
通過這樣的碰撞,物質的性質將會暴露出來。
But the force of gravity still sits outside what we know.
但是引力依然一無所知。