This is one piece of nature we haven't really observed right yet,
這是自然界的一部分,我們尚未真正觀察到,
to see gravitational waves, whether they really affect things here the way we think they do.
然而為了觀察到引力波,不管它們是否按我們認為的影響這里的東西。
We don't know where the sources are that we're looking for,
我們不知道我們在尋找的源頭在哪里,
so we have to look farther and farther out until we catch one.
所以我們不得不看得越來越遠,直到逮住一個。
In the most extreme places in the universe, Einstein is still on dodgy ground.
在宇宙間最極端的地方,愛因斯坦仍然處于不靠譜的地步。
As we travel deeper into space and time we're beginning to realise that Einstein's universe may unravel.
隨著我們深入到空間與時間里,我們開始意識到愛因斯坦的宇宙可能會崩潰。
But to know the cosmos, we need to know how gravity works everywhere.
然而要了解宇宙,就必須了解引力的整個機理。
In the most sinister of cosmic phenomena,
在最險惡的宇宙現象中,
in the dark heart of a black hole, Einstein has no answers.
在不為人知的黑洞中心,愛因斯坦沒轍了。
And his idea of gravity completely fails in the most violent event in history.
他的引力概念對于歷史上最劇烈的事件完全不管用。
At the Big Bang, the origin of everything, the universe was incredibly hot,
在大爆炸,萬物的起始點,宇宙的溫度極其高,
incredibly dense and incredibly small.
密度極其密、極其小。
All matter was condensed into a space smaller than a single atom.
所有的物質被壓縮在一個比單個的原子還小的空間里。
And here lies the problem.
那里充滿了疑問。