"Had I done these pictures? Did I know French and German?
“是你畫的嗎?你懂法文和德文?
What a love -- what a miracle I was!
你真可愛—一真是個奇跡!
I drew better than her master in the first school in S----.
你比S城第一所學校的教師還畫得好。
Would I sketch a portrait of her, to show to papa?"
你愿意為我畫一張讓我爸爸看看嗎?”
"With pleasure," I replied;
“很樂意,”我回答。
and I felt a thrill of artist -- delight at the idea of copying from so perfect and radiant a model.
一想到要照著這樣一個如此完美、如此容光煥發的模特兒畫,我便感到了藝術家喜悅的顫栗。
She had then on a dark-blue silk dress; her arms and her neck were bare;
那時她穿了深藍色的絲綢衣服;裸露著胳膊和脖子,
her only ornament was her chestnut tresses, which waved over her shoulders with all the wild grace of natural curls.
唯一的裝飾是她栗色的頭發,以一種天然卷曲所有的不加修飾的雅致,波浪似地從肩上披下來。
I took a sheet of fine card-board, and drew a careful outline.
我拿了一張精致的卡紙,仔細地畫了輪廓,
I promised myself the pleasure of colouring it;
并打算享受將它上彩的樂趣。
and, as it was getting late then, I told her she must come and sit another day.
由于當時天色已晚,我告訴她得改天再坐下來讓我畫了。
She made such a report of me to her father, that Mr. Oliver himself accompanied her next evening --
她把我的情況向她父親作了詳盡的報告,結果第二天晚上奧利弗先生居然親自陪著她來了。
a tall, massive-featured, middle-aged, and grey-headed man,
他高個子,五官粗大,中等年紀,頭發灰白。
at whose side his lovely daughter looked like a bright flower near a hoary turret.
身邊那位可愛的的女兒看上去象一座古塔旁的一朵鮮花。
He appeared a taciturn, and perhaps a proud personage;
他似乎是個沉默寡言,或許還很自負的人,
but he was very kind to me.
但對我很客氣。
The sketch of Rosamond's portrait pleased him highly: he said I must make a finished picture of it.
羅莎蒙德的那張速寫畫很使他高興。他囑我千萬要把它完成,
He insisted, too, on my coming the next day to spend the evening at Vale Hall.
還堅持要我第二天去溪谷莊度過一個夜晚。