This is Schriever basing in Colorado Springs.
這里是科羅拉多斯普林斯的施里弗。
It's a maximum security military installation.
這是個高度設防的軍事設施。
This Denver's base without a runway. It's the home of the global positioning system.
這個丹佛基地,沒有跑道。這里是全球定位系統的老家。
Half an hour late and we're quickly taken under the wing of Major Bandit Brant.
遲到了一個半小時 我們被迅速置于大盜布蘭特 (指:軍隊的徽章)的保護下。
Gentlemen. Yes, sir.
先生。是,長官
Well, welcome to the second space operations squadron, give you a tour as we walk down through here.
歡迎來到第二太空作戰中隊,旅行隨著從這里往下走開始。
It's from this one room that the whole GPS network is controlled.
就是從這個房間——控制著整個GPS網絡。
Running the floor today is Captain Chris Maddocks.
今天管理這一層的是克里斯·馬多克斯上尉。
You must have the biggest impact of any military crew in the world on ordinary people.
你必定在對普通老百姓來說,有著世界上所有的軍人的最大影響力。
Typically, civilian users aren't really our first thought, because I'm a war fighter.
通常情況下,民用用戶絕對不是我們優先考慮的,因為我是個軍人。
We think bombs on targets, planes landing safely.
我們考慮的是炸彈的目標、飛機的安全著陸。
Soldiers not getting lost in the desert.
士兵不會在沙漠中迷失方向。
But secondary to that, we do think there are people using what is it, Sam Sam or Tom Tom?
然而次要的是,我們會考慮到正在使用的人們,不管是張三或是李四?
Tom Tom. Tom Tom. All these users have the ability to get from point A to point B because of what we do.
張三李四。所有的人都能夠由于我們所做的,從A到B。
The global positioning system works by using a fleet of satellites orbiting the Earth.
GPS是利用圍繞著地球運轉的衛星編隊起作用的。
It's these satellites that are ultimately controlled by the American military.
這些衛星最終是由美國軍方控制的。
How many satellites are up there?
上空有多少顆衛星?
We have 31 satellites up in the constellation. Minimum is 24 satellites.
我們有31顆衛星在上空就位。至少要有24顆衛星。
So, you can afford to lose seven of them?
那么 你承受得起少掉7顆衛星啦?
Hopefully not. On your watch, particularly. Hopefully not.
但愿不會。尤其是在你的關注下,但愿不會。