Einstein says that our planet is distorting the spacetime.
愛因斯坦稱我們的地球正在彎曲時空。
And it's this curving of the fabric of the universe that creates the effect we feel as gravity.
這個宇宙構造的彎曲造成了我們所感覺的引力。
The bigger the mass, or the nearer you are to an object, the more curved the spacetime becomes,
質量越大,或者你越靠近物體時空就越彎曲,
and so the stronger is the effect of gravity.
所以引力的作用就越強。
It sounds impossible to prove, yet the fact that spacetime is distorted by the Earth
聽起來似乎無法得到證明,然而事實上,時空被地球所彎曲
is something many of us have to contend with every day, whether we know it or not.
卻是我們許多人每天都在對付的事情,不管你了解還是不了解。
Einstein's understanding of gravity is crucial for the correct working
愛因斯坦對引力的認識是讓20世紀最有用的發明之一
of one of the most useful innovations of the 20th century.
正確發揮作用的關鍵。
SATNAV: Select destination.
請選擇目的地。
It's the gadget that's revolutionised how we get around.
這是徹底改變我們旅行的小工具。
It's what we've relied on to navigate across America.
這是我們在美國境內旅行所依賴的東西。
SATNAV: Calculating route.
正在設計路線。
It's the global positioning system, or GPS.
這是全球定位系統,簡稱GPS
Right turn in 4.9 miles.
右轉4.9英里。
We're heading to GPS headquarters, just south of Denver, Colorado, but we're running a bit late.
我們正前往GPS總部,就在科羅拉多州丹佛的南部,但是我們走得有點遲緩了。
'Approaching U-turn.'
接近掉頭。
What were you using, a GPS satellite navigation system?
你正在用的是GPS衛星導航系統?
Where were you going? GPS headquarters.
你要去哪?GPS總部。
Did you get there on time?
你會準時到嗎?
No, we got lost!
不,我已經迷路了!