Which is better? --
何者為好?——
To have surrendered to temptation; listened to passion; made no painful effort -- no struggle; --
經不住誘惑聽憑欲念擺布,不作痛苦的努力——沒有搏斗——
but to have sunk down in the silken snare; fallen asleep on the flowers covering it;
落入溫柔的陷阱,在覆蓋著陷阱的花叢中沉沉睡去。
wakened in a southern clime, amongst the luxuries of a pleasure villa:
在南方的氣候中一覺醒來,置身于享樂別墅的奢華之中,
to have been now living in France, Mr. Rochester's mistress;
原來已住在法國,做了羅切斯特先生的情婦,
delirious with his love half my time -- for he would --
一半的時間因為他的愛而發狂——因為他會——
oh, yes, he would have loved me well for a while.
呵,不錯,他暫時會很愛我。
He did love me -- no one will ever love me so again.
他確實愛我——再也沒有誰會這么愛我了。
I shall never more know the sweet homage given to beauty, youth, and grace --
我永遠也看不到有誰會對美麗、青春、優雅如此虔敬了——
for never to any one else shall I seem to possess these charms.
因為我不會對任何其他人產生這樣的魅力。
He was fond and proud of me -- it is what no man besides will ever be. --
他非常喜歡我,為我感到自豪——而其他人是誰也做不到的——
But where am I wandering, and what am I saying, and above all, feeling?
可是我會在哪兒漫游,我會說什么,尤其是我會有什么感覺呢?
Whether is it better, I ask, to be a slave in a fool's paradise at Marseilles --
我問,在馬賽愚人的天堂做一個奴隸——
fevered with delusive bliss one hour -- suffocating with the bitterest tears of remorse and shame the next --
一會兒開心得渾身發燒,頭腦發昏——一會兒因為羞愧和悔恨而痛苦流涕,是這樣好呢,
or to be a village-schoolmistress, free and honest, in a breezy mountain nook in the healthy heart of England?
還是——在健康的英國中部一個山風吹拂的角落,做一個無憂無慮老老實實的鄉村女教師好呢?
Yes; I feel now that I was right when I adhered to principle and law,
是的,我現在感到,自己堅持原則和法規,
and scorned and crushed the insane promptings of a frenzied moment.
蔑視和控制狂亂時刻缺乏理智的沖動是對的。
God directed me to a correct choice: I thank His providence for the guidance!
上帝指引我作了正確的選擇,我感謝上蒼的指導!