"No, I cannot stay; I have only brought you a little parcel my sisters left for you.
“不,我不能久呆,我不過給你捎來了一個小包裹,是我妹妹們留給你的。
I think it contains a colour-box, pencils, and paper."
我想里面有一個顏色盒,一些鉛筆和紙張。”
I approached to take it: a welcome gift it was.
走過去收了下來,這是一件值得歡迎的禮品。
He examined my face, I thought, with austerity, as I came near:
我走近他時,我想他用嚴厲的目光審視著我。
the traces of tears were doubtless very visible upon it.
毫無疑問,我臉上明顯有淚痕。
"Have you found your first day's work harder than you expected?" he asked.
“你發覺第一天的工作比你預料的要難嗎?”他問。
"Oh, no! On the contrary, I think in time I shall get on with my scholars very well."
“呵,沒有!相反,我想到時候我會跟學生們處得很好。”
"But perhaps your accommodations -- your cottage -- your furniture -- have disappointed your expectations?
“可是也許你的居住條件——你的房子——你的家具一—使你大失所望?
They are, in truth, scanty enough; but" ---- I interrupted:
說真的是夠寒磣的,不過——”我打斷了他:
"My cottage is clean and weather-proof; my furniture sufficient and commodious.
“我的小屋很干凈,也經得住風雨。我的家具很充足,使用起來也方便。
All I see has made me thankful, not despondent.
我所看到的只能使我感到幸運,而不是沮喪。
I am not absolutely such a fool and sensualist as to regret the absence of a carpet, a sofa,
我絕不是這樣一個傻瓜和享樂主義者,居然對缺少地毯、沙發、
and silver plate; besides, five weeks ago I had nothing -- I was an outcast, a beggar, a vagrant;
銀盤而懊悔不已。更何況五周前我一無所有——我當時是一個棄兒、一個乞丐、一個流浪者。
now I have acquaintance, a home, a business.
現在我有了熟人,有了家,有了工作。
I wonder at the goodness of God; the generosity of my friends; the bounty of my lot.
我驚異于上帝的仁慈,朋友的慷慨,命運的恩惠。
I do not repine."
我并不感到煩惱。”
"But you feel solitude an oppression?
“可是你不覺得孤獨是一種壓抑嗎?
The little house there behind you is dark and empty."
你身后的小房子黑咕隆咚,空空蕩蕩,”