Having brought my eventide musings to this point, I rose, went to my door,
薄暮時分,我想到這里便站了起來,走向門邊,
and looked at the sunset of the harvest-day, and at the quiet fields before my cottage,
看看收獲日子的夕陽,看看小屋前面靜悄悄的田野,
which, with the school, was distant half a mile from the village.
田野與學校離村莊有半英里。
The birds were singing their last strains --
鳥兒們正唱著它們最后的一曲。
"The air was mild, the dew was balm."
“微風和煦,露水芬芳。”
While I looked, I thought myself happy, and was surprised to find myself ere long weeping --
這么瞧著感到很愉快,而且驚異地發覺自己不久哭起來了——
and why? For the doom which had reft me from adhesion to my master: for him I was no more to see;
為什么?因為厄運硬是把兩情依依的我與主人拆開;因為我再也見不到他了;
for the desperate grief and fatal fury -- consequences of my departure --
因為絕望的憂傷和極度的憤怒一一我離開的后果——
which might now, perhaps, be dragging him from the path of right, too far to leave hope of ultimate restoration thither.
這些也許正拉著他遠遠離開正道,失去了最后改邪歸正的希望。
At this thought, I turned my face aside from the lovely sky of eve and lonely vale of Morton --
想到這里我從黃昏可愛的天空和莫爾頓孤獨的溪谷轉過臉來——
I say lonely, for in that bend of it visible to me there was no building apparent save the church and the parsonage,
我說孤獨,那是因為在山彎里,除了掩映在樹從中的教堂和牧師住宅,
half-hid in trees, and, quite at the extremity, the roof of Vale Hall, where the rich Mr. Oliver and his daughter lived.
以及另一頭頂端住著有錢的奧利弗先生和他的女兒的溪谷莊園,再也看不見其他建筑了。
I hid my eyes, and leant my head against the stone frame of my door;
我蒙住眼睛,把頭靠在房子的石門框上。
but soon a slight noise near the wicket which shut in my tiny garden from the meadow beyond it made me look up.
但不久那扇把我的小花園與外邊草地分開的小門附近,傳來了輕輕的響動,我便抬起頭來。
A dog -- old Carlo, Mr. Rivers' pointer, as I saw in a moment --
一條狗——不一會兒我看到是里弗斯先生的獵狗卡羅一—
was pushing the gate with his nose, and St. John himself leant upon it with folded arms;
正用鼻子推著門。圣·約翰自己抱臂靠在門上,
his brow knit, his gaze, grave almost to displeasure, fixed on me.
他雙眉緊鎖,嚴肅得近乎不快的目光盯著我,
I asked him to come in.
我把他請進了屋。