I define it as: an incapacitating fear of failure that permeates our lives,
我的定義是 一種充斥在我們生活中的對失敗的失能性恐懼
especially those areas that we care about most.
尤其是在我們最在意的方面
Note the word incapacitating. It is not just a fear of failure.
注意“失能性”這個詞 不只是對失敗的恐懼
OK I don't know a person who is not afraid of failure,
好吧 我也不認識哪怕一個不害怕失敗
who is not embarrassed by it or feels frustrated by it.
也不會因為失敗感到尷尬或沮喪的人
So that's natural. That's human-whether we like it or not.
這是很自然的 這就是人性 不管我們喜歡不喜歡
But an incapacitating fear of failure is the failure that is debilitating us, that stops us, that prevents us
但對失敗的失能性畏懼是 一種讓我們在面對問題的時候
from coping, from trying, from putting ourselves on the line.
裹足不前的的畏懼

And the other part that I want to highlight in this definition
而我要在這個定義里強調的另一點
is that "especially those areas that we care about most".
就是"尤其是我們最在意的方面"
You know, I am not a perfectionist when it comes to playing Monopoly.
你們也明白 我在玩大富翁的時候可不是完美主義者
It's not that, it's competitive, but it's not that important for me if I win or lose.
這也不是因為...這的確很有競爭性 但是對于我來說勝敗并不重要
But perfectionism was a central part of my life when it came to-as I mentioned earlier, squash
但是完美主義確是我生活的重心 比如說 就如同我提到過的
which was very meaningful to me, academics which is very meaningful to me,
壁球對我而言非常重要
and relationships which was and is a very important part of my life.
學術對我而言也非常重要 和別人的關系對我來說也非常重要
So in these areas, that's where I experienced perfectionism,
在這些方面 我就體會到了完美主義
and that's where I needed to do the work and still doing the work
也是在這些方面 我必須并且一直在努力
It's in those areas. Let me elaborate on this definition.
在這些方面 讓我詳細說明一下
It is an approach, a cognitive and emotional schema, that we hold toward the journey
這是我們在面對人生的旅途的時候
of our lives, toward the process of getting from point A to point B.
也是我們從A點到B點的過程中 采取的一種方式 一種認知與情感的基模
The emphasis here is on journey.
重點在旅途上面