But what's it worth? In the job market? Out there, today?
但是這個學位價值何在?在就業市場上,在那里,就在當下,有什么價值?
We know the market for college graduates is more competitive now than ever.
我們知道對于大學畢業生來,如今就業市場里的競爭是史無前例的激烈。
Now some of you already have a job lined up, you've got a path where today's job is going to become tomorrow's career,
你們中的一些人已經找到了一份工作,現在的工作將會變為未來的事業,你們已經走在這樣的道路上,
but for most of you the future's probably still pretty fuzzy
但對你們中的多數人而言,未來可能仍然相當模糊,
you don't have that job that directly reflects the degree you just got.
你們找不到和你們剛剛獲得的學位相匹配的工作。
Many of you don't even have a job at all.
你們中的許多人甚至根本找不到工作。
Think about it: you've just completed your scholastic educational curriculum in life
想想看:你們剛剛完成了人生中的學校教育課程,
the one you started when you were 5 years old in kindergarten up until now,
從5歲上幼兒園時就開始一直到現在的課程。
and your future may not be any more clear than it was 5 years ago.
你們的未來可能并不比5年前更清晰。
You don't have the answers and it's probably pretty damn scary.
你們找不到答案,而這可能相當嚇人。
And I say, that's OK, 'cause that is how it is: this is the reality that many of you are facing.
我認為這沒什么,因為事實如此:這正是你們中的許多人面對的現實。
This is the world that we live in.
這就是我們生活的世界。
And well, I'm not here to discourage you or in any way belittle your accomplishments.
我今晚來這里不是讓你們氣餒,也不是要用任何方式來貶低你們的成就。
But tonight, which I'd like to applaud that one more time -- you graduated.
今晚,我要再次為你們的成就鼓掌--你們畢業了。
Now I'm not here to be a downer on that. Let's get that straight, but I am here to talk brass tacks.
我來這里不是潑冷水的。坦白地說,我是來這里討論基本事實的。
I want to skip the flattery and the attaboys, 'cause I do know this:
我想跳過那些恭維和安慰的話,因為我知道:
the sooner that we become less impressed with our life, with our accomplishments, with our career, with whatever that prospect is in front of us,
對于我們的人生,我們的成就,我們的職業,我們的前程,我們越快以平常心待之,
the sooner we become less impressed and more involved with that and these things, the sooner we get a whole lot better at doing them.
越快地投入其中,我們就越快做得更好。