So, before I share with you some what I do know, I want to talk with you about what I don't know.
在我同你們分享一些我知道的事情之前,我想先談談我不知道的事情。
Now, I have two older brothers. One was in high school in the early 1970s.
我有兩個哥哥。一個哥哥在20世紀70年代初上高中。
This was a time when a high school GED got you a job and college degree was exemplary.
在那個年代,擁有高中同等學歷就能找到工作,而擁有大學文憑就更是模范了。
My other brother, Pat, was in high school in the early 80s,
我的另一位哥哥派特,在20世紀80年代初上高中。
and by this time the GED wasn't enough to guarantee employment, you needed a college degree.
而到了那時,只有高中同等學歷已經不能保證找到工作了,你需要大學文憑。
And if you got one, you had a pretty good chance of getting the kind of job that you wanted after you graduated.
如果你有大學文憑,畢業后就很有可能找到心儀的工作。
Now me, I graduated from high school in 1988, got my college degree in 1993.
現在輪到我了,我1988年高中畢業,1993年拿到大學文憑。
And that college degree in '93 did not mean as much.
然而在1993年,大學文憑已經不算什么了。
It was not a ticket, not a voucher, was not a free pass go to anything.
它不是門票,不是憑證,不是去任何地方的免費入場券。
So, I ask the question: what does your college degree mean?
所以我要問的問題是:你們的大學文憑意味著什么?
It means you got an education; it means you have more knowledge in a specific subject, vocation;
它意味著你們受過教育;意味著你們在某一具體學科、行業上具有更多的知識;
it means you may have more expertise in what your degree is in.
它意味著你們在獲得學位的那個領域中擁有更多的專業知識。