"All men must die," said a voice quite close at hand;
“人總是要死的,”離我很近的一個聲音說道:
"but all are not condemned to meet a lingering and premature doom, such as yours would be if you perished here of want."
“但并不是所有的人都注定要象你這樣,慢悠悠受盡折磨而早死的,要是你就這么死于饑渴的話。”
"Who or what speaks?" I asked, terrified at the unexpected sound,
“是誰,或者什么東西在說話?”我問道,一時被突如其來的聲音嚇了一跳。
and incapable now of deriving from any occurrence a hope of aid.
此刻我不會對發生的任何事情寄予得救的希望。
A form was near -- what form, the pitch-dark night and my enfeebled vision prevented me from distinguishing.
一個影子移近了--究竟什么影子,漆黑的夜和衰弱的視力使我難以分辨。
With a loud long knock, the new-comer appealed to the door.
這位新來者在門上重重地長時間敲了起來。
"Is it you, Mr. St. John?" cried Hannah.
“是你嗎,圣·約翰先生?”漢娜叫道。
"Yes -- yes; open quickly."
“是呀--是呀,快開門。”
"Well, how wet and cold you must be, such a wild night as it is!
“哎呀,那么個狂風暴雨的夜晚,你準是又濕又感覺冷了:
Come in -- your sisters are quite uneasy about you, and I believe there are bad folks about.
進來吧--你妹妹們為你很擔心,而且我相信附近有壞人。
There has been a beggar-woman -- I declare she is not gone yet! -- laid down there. Get up! for shame! Move off, I say!"
有一個女討飯--我說她還沒有走呢!躺在那里。快起來!真害臊!我說你走吧!”
"Hush, Hannah! I have a word to say to the woman.
“噓,漢娜!我來對這女人說句話。
You have done your duty in excluding, now let me do mine in admitting her.
你已經盡了責把她關在門外,這會兒讓我來盡我的責把她放進來。
I was near, and listened to both you and her.
我就在旁邊,聽了你也聽了她說的。
I think this is a peculiar case -- I must at least examine into it.
我想這情況特殊--我至少得了解一下。
Young woman, rise, and pass before me into the house."
年輕的女人,起來吧,從我面前進屋去。”