And so much of the resources, intellectual resources, financial resources of of my generation
我們這一代人有很多的資源,知識資源、財政資源,
have gone into communications infrastructure and achieved wonderful things,
都用在了通信基礎設施領域并取得了驚人的成就,
but perhaps not as wonderful as we claim them to be.
但是可能它并沒有我們聲稱的那么好。
I mean, barely a week goes by that I don't read some comparison between a new way of sharing videos or something
我的意思是,大約一個星期過去了,我沒有看到一些比較分享視頻的新方式
that's compared to the invention of the printing press.
能與印刷機的發明相提并論。
And you only have to say that out loud to realize how silly that is.
你只要大聲說出來,就會意識到這種比較有多傻。
The long and the short of it is... well, to give you an example.
長話短說就是...我可以給你們舉個例子。
When I was flying out here, I had an experience that I've had with increasing frequency.
當我飛到這里的時候,我有一種在我生活中越來越頻繁的體驗。
You get on an airplane on a day flight to take you across America,
你白天搭乘一架飛機橫跨美國大陸,
and the shades are down because they don't want the cabin to get too hot, save on the air-conditioning. Good idea.
飛機的窗簾拉下來是因為他們不想讓機艙太熱,節省空調耗能。這是個好主意。
And nobody lifts the shade as you take off.
飛機起飛時沒有人拉開窗簾。
Nobody lifts the shade as you fly all the way across this amazing country.
當你一路飛過這個神奇的國家時,沒有人拉開窗簾。
Nobody looks out the window.
沒有人向窗外看。
Everybody's there with this screen with whatever it is they're doing.
每個人都在盯著屏幕,做著自己的事情。
I look out the window and people give me dirty looks,
我向窗外望去,人們對我投來鄙夷的目光,
because I'm interfering with the light on this screen.
因為我影響了照在屏幕上的光線。