As a believer in the concept of Inception,
作為一個相信“奠基”這一概念的人,
as a believer in the idea that you can plant the seed of,
作為一個相信能種下一個種子,
a seed of an idea that will grow into something more substantial over time,
一個隨著時間的推移會成長為更實質性的東西的想法的種子的人,
I do feel some responsibility to try and say something to you that you would carry forward and might help you in some way.
我確實覺得有責任對你們說些什么,一些會伴你們同行并可能在某種程度上幫助你們的話。
So I thought back to the world of my graduation,
于是我回想起我畢業時的世界,
when Emma and I were was sitting there 20 odd years ago.
也就時二十多年前我和艾瑪坐在那兒的時候。
And I thought about what were the problems of the world, what were the terrible things we faced.
我在思考這個世界的問題是什么,我們面臨著什么可怕的事情。
Racism, income inequality, warfare... I could go on but you know this list.
種族主義、收入不平等、戰爭...我可以繼續說下去,但你們也清楚。
And the reason you know it is, it's exactly the same today.
而你們知道的原因,是因為在今天也是如出一轍的。
And what that made me think is, well, what are we been doing for the last twenty years.
這讓我去思考,在過去的二十年里我們一直在做什么。
Because if I'm gonna give you any advice,
因為如果我要給你們任何建議的話,
I have to sort of take a bit of a hard look about my generation, about what we have done.
我必須認真審視一下我們這一代人,我們所做的一切。
And the truth is I think we've... we failed to address a lot of the fundamentals.
事實上,我認為我們已經...我們沒有解決很多基本的問題。
Possibly for a good reason, and that that reason is I think we went out into the world,
可能有一個很好的理由,這個理由就是我認為當我們走進這個世界,
believing that if we could connect the world,
相信如果我們能與世界產生聯系,
if we could allow the free exchange of ideas across geographical boundaries, economic boundaries,
如果我們能夠允許思想的自由交流沖破地理邊界、經濟邊界,
if we could all talk, these problems would go away.
如果我們都能交流一下,這些問題就會消失。
And unfortunately, I think by now we have to acknowledge that we were wrong,
不幸的是,我認為現在我們必須承認我們錯了,
well, that's not the case, the communication is not everything.
情況不是這樣的,溝通不是一切。