And now I can recall the picture of the grey old house of God rising calm before me,
如今,我能回憶起當時的情景:灰色的老教堂寧靜地聳立在我面前;
of a rook wheeling round the steeple, of a ruddy morning sky beyond.
一只白嘴鴉在教堂尖頂盤旋;遠處的晨空通紅通紅。
I remember something, too, of the green grave-mounds; and I have not forgotten, either,
我還隱約記得綠色的墳墩;也并沒有忘記兩個陌生的人影,
two figures of strangers straying amongst the low hillocks and reading the mementoes graven on the few mossy head-stones.
在低矮的小丘之間徘徊,一邊讀著刻在幾塊長滿青苔的墓石上的銘文。
I noticed them, because, as they saw us, they passed round to the back of the church;
這兩個人引起了我的注意,因為一見到我們,他們便轉到教堂背后去了。
and I doubted not they were going to enter by the side-aisle door and witness the ceremony.
我相信他們要從側廊的門進去,觀看婚禮儀式。
By Mr. Rochester they were not observed;
羅切斯特先生并沒有注意到這兩個人,
he was earnestly looking at my face from which the blood had, I daresay, momentarily fled:
他熱切地瞧著我的臉,我想我的臉一時毫無血色,
for I felt my forehead dewy, and my cheeks and lips cold.
因為我覺得我額頭汗涔涔,兩頰和嘴唇冰涼。
When I rallied, which I soon did, he walked gently with me up the path to the porch.
但我不久便定下神來,同他沿著小徑,緩步走向門廊。