He took me into the dining-room, surveyed me keenly all over,
他帶我進了餐室,急切地把我從頭到腳打量了一遍,
pronounced me "fair as a lily, and not only the pride of his life, but the desire of his eyes,"
聲稱我“像百合花那么美麗,不僅是他生活中的驕傲,而且也讓他大飽眼福。”
and then telling me he would give me but ten minutes to eat some breakfast, he rang the bell.
隨后他告訴我只給我十分鐘吃早飯,并按了按鈴。
One of his lately hired servants, a footman, answered it.
他新近雇用的一個仆人,一位管家應召而來。
"Is John getting the carriage ready?" "Yes, sir."
“約翰把馬車準備好了嗎?” “好了,先生。”
"Is the luggage brought down?"
“行李拿下去了嗎?”
"They are bringing it down, sir."
“他們現在正往下拿呢,先生。”

"Go you to the church: see if Mr. Wood (the clergyman) and the clerk are there: return and tell me."
“上教堂去一下,看看沃德先生(牧師)和執事在不在那里。回來告訴我。”
The church, as the reader knows, was but just beyond the gates; the footman soon returned.
讀者知道,大門那邊就是教堂,所以管家很快就回來了。
"Mr. Wood is in the vestry, sir, putting on his surplice."
“沃德先生在法衣室里,先生,正忙著穿法衣呢。”
"And the carriage?" "The horses are harnessing."
“馬車呢?”“馬匹正在上挽具。”
"We shall not want it to go to church; but it must be ready the moment we return:
“我們上教堂不用馬車,但回來時得準備停當。
all the boxes and luggage arranged and strapped on, and the coachman in his seat."
所有的箱子和行李都要裝好捆好,車夫要在自己位置上坐好。”
"Yes, sir." "Jane, are you ready?"
“是,先生。”“簡,你準備好了嗎?”