So you are sitting there for 10 minutes.
你坐在那兒坐了十分鐘
10 minutes later, the experimenter comes in, takes you to the "real" experiment.
十分鐘后,試驗者進來了,帶你去參加“真正的”試驗
Sitting down, you take the exact same test. The exact same puzzle.
你坐下來做了跟之前那個一模一樣的測試,完全一樣的謎題
And once again, how long will you persevere before giving up?
然后再次看看,放棄測試之前你能堅持多久
Think about for yourself for a second. Who do you think persevered more?
你們自己想一下,你們覺得哪一組能堅持得久一些
The chocolate chip cookies group? Or the beetroots group? Think for yourself for a second. By the way, I guessed wrong when I answered this question. OK.
巧克力脆餅組還是甜菜根組,你們自己想一下,順便說一下,我在回答這個問題時猜錯了
Significantly more perseverance, significantly more, wasn't close,
有一組顯著地堅持得更久,顯著地更久,而不是細微差別,
the group that had the beetroots persevered a lot more. Why? I wouldn't understand.
甜菜根那組顯著地堅持得更久,為什么,當時我也不理解

The mechanism and he did some more experiment to explain the mechanism.
這個機制,他還做了些其他試驗來解釋這個機制
It's because the chocolate chip cookie group had used self-discipline not to touch, though they really wanted to touch it.
這是因為巧克力脆餅組已經用了自律來阻止自己動餅干,雖然他們十分想碰它
But they couldn't. So they used their quota of self-discipline.
但他們不能碰,所以他們已經用了那份自律了
And when they went into the quote\unquote "real" experiment, what happened was that they had little or no self-discipline left
等他們去參加“真正的”試驗時,他們就幾乎不剩什么自律了
And that, that maze, that experiment, that test required a lot of self-discipline.
而那個迷宮,那個試驗,那個測試需要大量的自律
The point of this study is we all have limited amount of self-discipline.
這個研究所要告訴我們的是我們都只有有限量的自律
And the question is what do we used it on.
問題在于我們將它用在了哪里