They walk out. And as they are walking out, they tell them, oh just by the way,
他們走出去,出去之前對受試者說:順便提一下
these chocolate chip cookies, they are for the next experiment. So if you don't mind, don't touch them.
這些巧克力脆餅是為下一個試驗所準備的。所以如果你不介意的話,最好不要動它
So you are sitting there, almost dying, but you are not touching it.
于是你就坐在那兒,非常渴望,但就是不能碰它
And ten minutes later, the experimenter does come in, takes you to the experiment.
十分鐘之后,試驗者確實回來了,帶你去參加試驗
The experiment is very difficult. Very difficult.
這個試驗非常難。非常難
Very difficult test that you need to take. A test that most people don't solve
你要進行非常非常難的測試。大多數人都無法通過這個測試
and requires a lot of perseverance and hard work. But most people, even with perseverance and hard work do not solve it.
并且這需要大量的堅持和努力,但大多數人,即使擁有堅持和努力也沒法通過
So the outcome measure, what the researcher is interested in is mostly how much did you persevere before giving up on that test.
所以評估結果時,研究者感興趣的是,在放棄測試前,你堅持了多久

How much did you persevere before giving up on that test?
在放棄測試前,你堅持了多久
That was the outcome measure, the dependent variable.
這才是對結果的評估,才是因變量
Second group, randomly picked, come into the same room, sitting on the same chair, have the same bowl on the table.
第二組隨機挑選的人,進入同樣的房間坐在同一把椅子上,旁邊桌上放著相同的碗
But instead of chocolate chip cookies, what they have in the bowl are red beetroots.
但里面裝的不是巧克力脆餅,而是甜菜根
Freshly baked. Just came out of the oven. And they are sitting there.
剛烤好,新鮮出爐。他們就坐在那兒
And the experimenter is about to walk out, says, just one more thing.
然后試驗者正要走出去,說:還有一件事
If you don't mind, don't touch those beetroots. They are for the next experiment. OK. Fine.
如果你不介意的話,別碰這些甜菜根,這是為了下一個試驗準備的,好