雪莉爾改變了策略。
"You've almost got two stepdaughters about (your victim's age).
“你的兩個繼女都跟被你傷害的那個女孩兒年齡相仿,
What do you think the impact would be on them, meeting someone like you when you were 20?"
如果她們在20歲的時候碰到了跟你差不多的人,你覺得會給她們造成怎樣的影響?”
"I mean, they'd be traumatized. They'd be—"
“她們應該會留下創傷,會……”
he's quiet for a minute.
羅布一時語塞。
"I can't think of the right word. I'm stuck."
“我想不到合適的詞了,我思維卡殼了。”
He looks down into his lap.
他低頭看著自己的膝蓋。
"You're getting ready to become a parent," Cheryl says.
“你馬上就要為人父了,”謝麗爾說道。
"So I'm really challenging you.
“所以我試問你。
What kind of person were you then, the person you wouldn't want your stepdaughters to meet now?"
那個時候的你,那個你不愿意讓自己的繼女認識的你是怎樣的人呢?
"I didn't care about anything. I was drinking, using drugs. I just wanted to get my rocks off.
“那個時候我什么都不放在心上。喝酒,吸毒,只想著找樂子。
It didn't matter with who or at what age.
和誰一起,TA什么年紀都沒關系。
We try to talk to them, the kids, about that because, well, they're like my kids."
我們也嘗試著跟那些孩子說明這一點,畢竟她們跟我的孩子年紀也差不多。”
"I've seen you grow up," says Cheryl.
“我感覺你已經成熟了,”雪莉爾說道。
"You came to us with an eff you, eff me, eff whatever attitude.
“你剛來的時候完全是一副操天操地什么都操的態度。
Now you've got these two girls and you get to tell them,
現在你已經有了兩個女兒,你要告訴她們,
'I was the 20-year-old boy who couldn't wait to get with some sweet little 15-year-old.'
‘我就是那個自己20歲,卻迫不及待地想跟15歲的小姑娘發生關系的人。’
And you can tell them you didn't give a rip about that girl as long as she was gonna like you.
告訴她們,只要她之后喜歡上你,你就絲毫不在乎。
I mean, you didn't force her, you didn't trick her.'"

"Well, I didn't trick her, and I did."
“嗯,我確實沒有騙她,但也騙了她。”
Cheryl smiles. "Thank you for correcting me."
雪莉爾笑了。“感謝你的糾正。”
"I tricked her because I had the nice car. I used what I had to my advantage when I wanted.
“我騙了她,是因為我有一臺好車。我利用了我有的東西來滿足我的欲望。
Did I trick her into a dark alley? No. Was it mutual? Yes.
我把她騙到黑胡同里了嗎?沒有?雙方都是自愿的嗎?是自愿的。
But I had nice things. I was able to buy the drugs and alcohol.
但我有好東西。我買得起毒品,買得起酒。
So yes, I did trick her.
所以,是的,我的確騙了她。
And I don't want them to get tricked—even if it's mutual. They're too young to know."
但我不想讓我的兩個女兒被騙——哪怕是雙方自愿的。她們還小,不懂。”
Later, she asks Rob if he would want to talk with his victim in person if he could.
后來,謝麗爾問道羅布,有機會的話,他愿不愿意和他的受害者私下聊聊。
"Honestly, no," he said.
“說實話,不想,”他說。
"I've got a good thing going right now, and I feel like if I heard that I just f-cked her life up, it would send me in this spiral."
“現在我過得挺好的。我覺得,如果我再聽到我毀了她的生活之類的話,我又會陷入那個漩渦里。”
"But that is what empathy is," Cheryl says.
“但同情就是這么回事啊,”雪莉爾說道。
"Sitting across from your victim and listening to her and understanding how she feels."
“同情就是跟你的受害者面對面,聽她講她的感受,并理解她的感受。”
She tells him a story of a client whose neighbor found him on the sex-offender registry and confronted him in a grocery store.
雪莉爾跟羅布講了一個故事。她曾經有一名患者,那位患者的鄰居發現他在性犯罪者名單上,當她在超市碰到他的時候。
"You hurt a child," she yelled at him in the cereal aisle.
“你傷害了一個孩子,”她隔著放麥片的貨架沖著他吼道。
This patient, Cheryl says, had a moment of self-realization.
這位患者,謝麗爾說,陷入了沉思。
He dropped to his knees on the linoleum floor and said,
他跪倒在鋪著油毯的地上,說道,
"I used to be that man that did those awful things to the little girl and the amount of regret I have is sometimes unfathomable."
“過去我確實是個對那個小女孩兒做了大壞事,有時候,我也后悔得不行。”
That, she argues, is truly taking responsibility for your actions.
謝麗爾說,這就是真正為自己的行為負責的表現。
"I would meet with her if she wanted to," Rob says. "I would just be scared. I just—it would be hard."
“如果她愿意的話,我可以跟她見面,”羅布說。“我肯定會很害怕。對我來說,肯定會很艱難。”
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。