So many of you have probably seen the movie "The Martian."
我估計在座很多人都看過“火星救援”這部電影。
But for those of you who did not, it's a movie about an astronaut who is stranded on Mars,
對于沒看過的人來說,這是一部關于一名宇航員被困在火星,
and his efforts to stay alive until the Earth can send a rescue mission to bring him back to Earth.
努力求生,直到地球派出了一個救援小隊把他帶回地球的電影。
Gladly, they do re-establish communication with the character, astronaut Watney,
幸運的是,他們與主角沃特尼重新取得了聯系,
at some point so that he's not as alone on Mars until he can be rescued.
在某些方面來說,直到獲救前,他在火星上還不算太孤獨。
So while you're watching the movie, or even if you haven't,
當你在看電影的時候,即便你沒看過,
when you think about Mars, you're probably thinking about how far away it is and how distant.
當你想像火星的時候,你可能會思考它距離我們有多遠。
And, what might not have occurred to you is,
不過,你可能不會去想
what are the logistics really like of working on another planet of living on two planets
工作或是生活在另一個星球,后勤是如何得到保障的,
when there are people on the Earth and there are rovers or people on Mars?
畢竟有一部分人在地球,還有一部分漫游者或是人類在火星。
So think about when you have friends, families and co-workers in California, on the West Coast or in other parts of the world.
可以這么想象,當你的朋友,家人還有同事在西海岸的加利福尼亞,或是世界上其他一些地方。
When you're trying to communicate with them, one of the things you probably first think about is:
當你嘗試去聯系他們,你可能想的第一件事是:
wait, what time is it in California? Will I wake them up? Is it OK to call?
等會,現在是加利福尼亞幾點?我會不會打擾他們?現在能不能打電話?
So even if you're interacting with colleagues who are in Europe, you're immediately thinking about:
即便你聯系在歐洲的同事,你也直接會想到:
What does it take to coordinate communication when people are far away?
怎樣才能順利的進行遠距離溝通?