So we don't have people on Mars right now, but we do have rovers.
我們現在并沒有人類生活在火星,但是我們有漫游者探測器。
And actually right now, on Curiosity, it is 6:10 in the morning.
現在,好奇號漫游者的時間是早上6點10分。
So, 6:10 in the morning on Mars. We have four rovers on Mars.
也就是說火星時間是早上6點10分。我們有四個漫游者在火星。
The United States has put four rovers on Mars since the mid-1990s,
自90年代中期,美國就發送了四個漫游者到火星上,
and I have been privileged enough to work on three of them.
而且我有幸和其中三個漫游者一起工作過。
So, I am a spacecraft engineer, a spacecraft operations engineer, at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Los Angeles, California.
所以,我是一名航天器工程師,準確說是操縱航天器的工程師,工作于加州洛杉磯的美國宇航局推進技術實驗室。
And these rovers are our robotic emissaries.
而這些漫游者是我們的機器使者。
So, they are our eyes and our ears, and they see the planet for us until we can send people.
所以,他們就是我們的眼睛和耳朵。他們能為我們觀察火星,直到我們有能力把人送到那里。
So we learn how to operate on other planets through these rovers.
所以,我們可以通過這些漫游者來了解在其他星球的環境狀況。
So before we send people, we send robots.
所以,在我們把宇航員送到那里之前,我們先派了一批機器人去。