So while she's sleeping -- and the rover does sleep at night
當然,在她睡覺的時候,她晚上確實是在睡覺,
because she needs to recharge her batteries and she needs to weather the cold Martian night.
因為她需要給電池充電,而且她需要抵抗住火星晚上的低溫。
And so she sleeps. So while she sleeps, we work on her program for the next day.
所以她需要休息。在她休息的時候,我們會為她計劃好第二天的工作。
So I work the Martian night shift.
所以我在火星上夜班。
So in order to come to work on the Earth at the same time every day on Mars
為了在火星上每天的同一時間工作,
like, let's say I need to be at work at 5:00 p.m., this team needs to be at work at 5:00 p.m.
換句話說,我需要每天下午5點上班,這個團隊需要在火星時間下午5點上班。
Mars time every day, then we have to come to work on the Earth 40 minutes later every day,
在地球上,我們每天則需要晚40分鐘開始工作,
in order to stay in sync with Mars. That's like moving a time zone every day.
這都是為了和火星同步。就像每天都在換時區。
So one day you come in at 8:00, the next day 40 minutes later at 8:40,
所以今天你8點來,明天就要晚40分鐘,8:40來,
the next day 40 minutes later at 9:20, the next day at 10:00.
后天又要晚40分鐘,就是9:20來。大后天就是10點。
So you keep moving 40 minutes every day,
每天都要隨著這40分鐘變,
until soon you're coming to work in the middle of the night -- the middle of the Earth night. Right?
直到你要半夜來上班--是地球時間的半夜哦。沒錯吧?
So you can imagine how confusing that is.
現在你能想象有多復雜了吧。