She spent twenty minutes reciting from memory the name of every child,
結果她用20分鐘告訴我班上每個孩子的名字,
detailing their parents, siblings, which class they had been in the year before, and their interests.
并描述他們的父母、兄弟姐妹,以及他們各自的興趣愛好。
How could she possibly know all this?
她怎么可能把這些全記住?
Was I a bad mother for not knowing any of this?
我對此一無所知,這是不是說明我是個糟糕的母親?
And why should it even bother me?
而且,我為什么會為此煩惱?
I knew the answer to that last question.
對于最后一個問題,我知道答案。
It bothered me because like most people who have choices, I am not completely comfortable with mine.
煩惱的原因在于我對自己的選擇也并不完全滿意。
Later that same year, I dropped my son off at school on St. Patrick's Day.
還是那一年,我有一次送孩子上學。
As he got out of the car wearing his favorite blue T-shirt, the same mother pointed out, "He's supposed to be wearing green today."
他穿著最喜歡的藍色T恤,剛一下車,那位無所不知的母親就說:“今天是圣帕特里克節,他應該穿綠色的衣服。”
I simultaneously thought, Oh, who the hell can remember that it's St. Patrick's Day?
噢,誰記得今天是圣帕特里克節?然后我心里想,
and I'm a bad mom Guilt management can be just as important as time management for mothers.
我真是個糟糕的媽媽。對母親來說,控制負罪感和時間管理一樣重要。
When I went back to my job after giving birth, other working mothers told me to prepare for the day that my son would cry for his nanny.
當我休完產假回去工作時,其他上班族媽媽都告訴我要有心理準備,因為有一天我兒子可能會哭著要保姆而不是媽媽。
Sure enough, when he was about eleven months old, he was crawling on the floor of his room and put his knee down on a toy.
果不其然,當他11個多月大,能在自己房間的地板上爬來爬去,有一次被玩具絆倒了,
He looked up for help, crying, and reached for her instead of me.
他大哭著向保姆而不是我伸出小手。
It pierced my heart, but Dave thought it was a good sign.
我十分難過,但戴夫認為這是個好兆頭,
He reasoned that we were the central figures in our son's life, but forming an attachment to a caregiver was good for his development.
他的理由是,在兒子的生活中我們是核心人物,但對照顧他的人形成一種依戀感則有利于他的成長。
I understood his logic, especially in retrospect, but at the time, it hurt like hell.
我理解他的邏輯,尤其是現在,但當時我真是難過得要死。