"But then I should not have had my wonderful brains!" cried the Scarecrow.
“那么,我就不會擁有了奇異的頭腦!”稻草人叫喊起來。
"I might have passed my whole life in the farmer's cornfield."
“我一生都會在農民的稻田里,平凡地度過了。”
"And I should not have had my lovely heart," said the Tin Woodman.
“我也得不到我善良的心,”鐵皮人說。
"I might have stood and rusted in the forest till the end of the world."
“我會一直銹在森林,一直到這世界的末日。”
"And I should have lived a coward forever," declared the Lion,
“我將永遠沒有膽量,”獅子說,
"and no beast in all the forest would have had a good word to say to me."
“在所有的森林里,也不會成為真正的百獸之王了。”
"This is all true," said Dorothy, "and I am glad I was of use to these good friends.
“這些都是真的,”多蘿茜說,“我一點兒也不感到懊悔,因為我幫助了朋友們。
But now that each of them has had what he most desired, and each is happy in having a kingdom to rule besides,
既然現在每一個都達到了他的最好的愿望,每一個都很快樂,去管理一個國家,
I think I should like to go back to Kansas."
我想我應該放心地回到堪薩斯州去了。”
"The Silver Shoes," said the Good Witch, "have wonderful powers.
于是善女巫說道:“這雙銀鞋子,有神奇的魔力。
And one of the most curious things about them is that they can carry you to any place in the world in three steps,
它最奇特之處在于,就是它們在這個世界上,只是在三步之中,帶著你去任何地方,
and each step will be made in the wink of an eye.
每一步只須一眨眼的工夫。
All you have to do is to knock the heels together three times and command the shoes to carry you wherever you wish to go."
你必須先并著腳,隨后轉動鞋跟,互相碰撞三次,就可以向這雙鞋子發出命令,讓它帶你到任何想去的地方。”
"If that is so," said the child joyfully, "I will ask them to carry me back to Kansas at once."
女孩子十分快活地說:“如果這是真的,我立刻命令它們帶著我回到堪薩斯州去。”