(Question:)Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura and even, in a sense, President Trump all made the transition from entertainer to politician.
(問:)羅納德·里根,阿諾德·施瓦辛格,杰西·文圖拉,從某種程度上來說,總統特朗普也不例外,這些人都經歷了從藝人到政客的轉型。
But not so many women.Why?
但這方面的女性并不是很多。為什么?
(Answer:)It’s much, much harder for a woman to go into politics.
(回答:)女性從政要比男性難得多得多。
There are so many roadblocks.
女性從政會遇到很多阻礙。
I remember speaking to a conservative MP, and she said she’d get questions like, Well, who will look after the children if you’re campaigning?
我記得,我曾經和一位保守黨議員聊過,她說她甚至會被問,“你去參加競選,你的孩子誰照顧?”
(Question:)A record number of women are running for election in the U.S. this year. What’s your advice?
(問:)今年,美國這邊參加競選的女性人數創下了歷史新高。您對她們有什么建議嗎?
(Answer:)You have to acknowledge it’s going to be hard.
(回答:)首先,我們必須承認她們的競選之路會很艱難。
You’re asking people to give you something which, in my opinion, is their most precious possession: their vote.
因為你是在請求大家給你他們的選票,而在我看來,那是他們最寶貴的財產。
Voters have every right to question you on the level that goes beyond the usual social exchange.
選民完全有資格在超越社交的層面上質疑你。
You have to be ready for that.
所以,競選的女性同胞必須在這方面做好準備。

(Question:)Is there something you mourn about growing older?
(問:)關于變老,有什么是會讓您傷心的嗎?
(Answer:)It irritates me that I can’t cut my own toenails.
(回答:)剪不到自己的腳趾甲這件事讓我很惱火。
(Question:)What do you think you’ve gained in return?
(問:)您覺得您得到了什么?
(Answer:)I have realized how much I don’t know. That’s a real revelation.
(回答:)我認識到了我不懂的事情還有很多很多。算是一種領悟吧。
This idea that age blesses you with some kind of knowledge is rubbish.
那種認為歲月會讓人變得睿智的想法簡直就是無稽之談。
(Question:)Your mother was a cleaner and your father a bricklayer.
(問:)您的母親是清潔工,您的父親是泥瓦匠。
What did you try to give to your son from your upbringing?
您希望您的兒子從您的成長經歷學到什么呢?
(Answer:)He went to a local school, he never came near a theater or a film set, he was never photographed.
(回答:)他上的是我們當地的一所學校,他從來沒去過劇院或者片場,也從來沒有被拍過照。
He said to me once, “Are you famous?”
有一次他問我:“你很出名嗎?”
I said to him, “Well, possibly.”
我對他說,“嗯,可能吧。”
He said, “What are you famous for?”
他說:“那你是為什么出名的?”
I thought then we’d done pretty well.
當他問出這樣的問題的時候,我就覺得我們已經做得很好了。
(Final question)Who have the bigger egos, actors or politicians?
(最后一個問題)誰的自尊心更強,演員還是政治家?
(Answer:)The egos that I saw in Parliament wouldn’t have been tolerated for 30 seconds in the theater.
(回答:)我在議會里看到的人們的自負程度放在戲劇里能被容忍的時間最多不會超過30秒。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。