"This whole thing has made me think," she said.
“整件事我想了一下,”她說。
"I just want to keep teaching and doing research. I had forgotten what really made me happy.
“我只想繼續教書,繼續做研究。我忘記了真正使我快樂的是什么。
It's not power or the dean's job but just being a professor."
讓我快樂的不是權力或院長的職位,而是教授的工作。”
"Alan Maurie hurt a lot of people," my uncle said.
“艾倫·毛里傷害了很多人,”叔叔說。
"I can't say I'm glad he's dead, but a lot of people will be happier now that he is."
“我不能說我很高興他死了,但很多人現在會開心他死了。”
A week later, I was returning home from school when I saw Jennifer sitting outside my front door.
一個星期后,我從學校回家的時候,我看到詹妮弗坐在我家前門外面。
"Hi," she said.
“ 嗨,”她說。
"Hi," I said. I was really surprised to see her. After everything that had happened, I honestly didn't think I'd see her again.
“嗨,”我說。看到她我真的很驚訝。發生了這一切之后,我真的覺得再也見不到她了。
I opened the front door and showed her into the living room.
我打開前門,把她領進客廳。
"I wanted to come by to thank you and your uncle for finding the murderer," she said.
“我是來謝謝你和你叔叔找到兇手的,”她說。
"Now that the case is closed, the police have returned the photographs to me.
“現在案子結束了,警察已經把照片還給我了。
They were in Dean Maurie's office and they didn't see any reason why I shouldn't have them back."
照片在毛里院長的辦公室,警察找不到任何理由不讓我拿回照片。
"That's great!" I said, and I meant it. I was really glad that she got her pictures back.
“太好了!”我說,我是認真的。我真高興她把照片拿回來了。
And I was even more glad that she didn't have to worry about someone like Alan Maurie.
我更高興的是她不用擔心像艾倫·毛里這樣的人。