"There's one thing I still don't understand," Professor Dunn said.
“有一件事我還是不明白,”鄧恩教授說。
"Who wrote the threatening letters to Alan Maurie?"
“誰給艾倫·毛里寫的恐嚇信?”
"I think Diana Marcelo did," Uncle Jeff said. "I think she was trying to scare Alan Maurie so that he would stop bothering her.
杰夫叔叔說:“我想是戴安娜·馬塞洛。她應該是想嚇唬艾倫·毛里,這樣他就不會再煩她了。”
Those letters had nothing to do with him getting killed."
那些信與他被殺無關。”
"One thing still puzzles me," Uncle Jeff said to Professor Dunn. "You hated Alan Maurie.
杰夫叔叔對鄧恩教授說:“有一件事我還是不明白,你恨艾倫·毛里。
Why did you come to me in the beginning and ask me to find out who was sending the letters?
你為什么一開始就來找我,問我信是誰寄的?
I don't think you were seriously worried about his safety."
我想你并不是真的擔心他的安全。”
"I'm ashamed to say," she said, "but I suspected that Alan Maurie was up to some shady things, maybe even some illegal things.
她說:“我不好意思這么說,但我懷疑艾倫·毛里在做一些見不得人的事情,甚至可能是非法的事情。
But I didn't exactly know what.
但我不知道具體是什么事情。
I was hoping that your investigation would find out something that would get him into trouble, something that would make him lose his job.
我希望你的調查能給他制造一些麻煩,讓他丟掉工作。
Please don't be angry with me, Jeff. I had so much anger in me that I didn't stop to think that I was using you by asking for your help."
請不要生我的氣,杰夫。我太生氣了,以至于我沒有停下來想:我請求你的幫助是在利用你。”
"I'm just glad it's over," he said. "What now?"
“我很高興一切都結束了,”他說。“接下來呢?”