But those are dots on a screen for you; what exactly does that mean?
但是那些你們看起來是屏幕上的點;到底有什么意義呢?
Well basically that means that this protein is changing from the sensitive cell to the resistant cell.
基本上,這意味著這種蛋白在改變,從敏感細胞變為抵抗性細胞。
And in fact, it might be changing the cells themselves to make the cells resistant.
實際上,可能是細胞自身在改變,讓細胞自己變得具有抵抗性。
And that's huge. In fact, it means that if a patient comes in and they're resistant to this drug,
巨大的(抵抗力)。實際上,這意味著如果病人來,他們對這種藥產生抗藥性,
then if we give them a chemical to block this protein, then we can treat them again with the same drug.
如果我們給他們這種化學物質來阻止這種蛋白,那么我們又可以用同樣的藥重新治療他們。
And that's huge for chemotherapy effectiveness -- possibly for many different types of cancer.
對于化療的有效性來說這是巨大的改變--很可能對多種不同的癌癥有效。
So that was my work, and it was my way of reimagining the future for future research,
這就是我的工作,這就是我對未來的暢想,對未來研究的暢想,
with figuring out exactly what this protein does, but also for the future of chemotherapy effectiveness
要弄清楚這種蛋白到底是什么,同時也是化療有效性的未來
-- so maybe all grandfathers with cancer have a little bit more time to spend with their grandchildren.
-- 或許所有患有癌癥的爺爺都能有更多的時間跟他們的孫子輩們在一起。
But my work wasn't just about the research. It was about finding my passion.
但是,我的工作并不僅僅是研究,還包括尋找我的夢想所在。
That's why being the grand prize winner of the Google Global Science Fair -- cute picture, right
那就是為什么成為谷歌科技展大獎的得主--很漂亮的照片,是吧
-- it was so exciting to me and it was such an amazing honor.
-- 對于我來說是無比的興奮,無比的榮耀。
And ever since then, I've gotten to do some pretty cool stuff
從那以后,我能開始做很多很酷的東西。
-- from getting to meet the president to getting to be on this stage to talk to all of you guys.
--從能夠見到總統到能站在這個演講臺上跟大家講話。
But like I said, my journey wasn't just about the research,
但是就像我說過的,我的旅行并不僅僅是關于研究,
it was about finding my passion,
也是關于我的夢想,
and it was about making my own opportunities when I didn't even know what I was doing.
當我都還不知道我在做什么的時候,我如何制造機會。
It was about inspiration and determination and never giving up on my interest for science and learning and growing.
這就是靈感和決心以及從不放棄我對自然科學,學習,以及成長的興趣。
After all, my story begins with a dried, withered spinach plant and it's only getting better from there.
不管怎樣,我的故事始于一顆干枯的,凋萎的菠菜,從那以后就開始變得越來越好。
Thank you.
謝謝大家。