Hi everyone. I'm Shree Bose.
大家好,我是斯里·波色。
I was the 17-18 year-old age category winner and then the grand prize winner.
我是17-18歲組的冠軍,也是大獎得主 。
And I want all of you to imagine a little girl holding a dead blue spinach plant.
我希望你們所有人,想象一個小女孩拿著一個死亡的藍色菠菜 。
And she's standing in front of you and she's explaining to you
她就站在你面前,向你解釋
that little kids will eat their vegetables if they're different colors.
小孩會吃蔬菜,如果它們的顏色是不同的。
Sounds ridiculous, right. But that was me years ago.
這挺起來很不可思議,是吧,但這是幾年前的我 。
And that was my first science fair project. It got a bit more complicated from there.
那是我第一個科學展項目,從那以后就變得復雜了。
My older brother Panaki Bose spent hours of his time explaining atoms to me when I barely understood basic algebra.
我的哥哥帕納吉·波色花了很多時間跟我解釋原子,當我還對基本代數沒什么概念的時候。
My parents suffered through many more of my science fair projects, including a remote controlled garbage can.
我的科學展項目給我的父母帶來了很多困擾,包括了一個遙控移動垃圾箱。
And then came the summer after my freshman year, when my grandfather passed away due to cancer.
然后就迎來了我高一的暑假,
And I remember watching my family go through that
也是我爺爺因為癌癥去世的時候,
and thinking that I never wanted another family to feel that kind of loss.
我記得看著家人們承受這些痛苦,想著我永遠都不要別的家庭也經受這種失去。
So, armed with all the wisdom of freshman year biology,
所以,用高一生物知識來武裝起來,
I decided I wanted to do cancer research at 15. Good plan.
在我15歲的時候,我決定研究癌癥,這是個很棒的計劃。
So I started emailing all of these professors in my area asking to work under their supervision in a lab.
所以,我開始向這個領域的所有教授寫信,詢問能否在他們的監督下在實驗室工作。
Got rejected by all except one.
除了一位,其它的全都拒絕了我。
And then went on, my next summer, to work under Dr. Basu at the UNT Health Center at Fort Worth, Texas.
就這樣,在第二個暑假,在位于得克薩斯州華茲堡市的UNT健康中心,我開始了在巴蘇博士的指導下工作。
And that is where the research began.
那里就是研究如何開始的。