So my idea was born,and I had the project set up and a hypothesis,
這就是我的想法誕生的過程,然后,我就有了項目的開展和假說,
so what was my next step?
那么我的下一步呢?
Well obviously I had to find a lab to work at because I didn't have the equipment in my school.
很明顯的,我要找到一家實驗室,因為我在學校沒有實驗設備。
I thought this would be easy,
我以為這會很容易,
but I emailed about 200 different people within a five-hour radius of where I lived,
但是我給200多個人寫郵件 ,離我居住的地方開車5個小時的范圍內,
and I got one positive response that said that they could work with me.
我只得到了一個正面的回復,說愿意幫助我。
Most of the others either never responded back,
更多的人要么根本不回復,
said they didn't have the time or didn't have the equipment and couldn't help me.
說他們沒時間,要么就是沒有設備,幫不了我。
So it was a big commitment to drive to the lab to work multiple times.
所以說,這是一個很重的承諾,要多次開車去實驗室開展實驗。
However, it was a great opportunity to work in a real lab --
但是,這是一個可以在真正的實驗室工作的絕好機會--
so I could finally start my project.
我也得以最終開始我的項目。
The first stage was completed at home,
第一步是完全在家完成的,
which consisted of marinating the chicken,grilling the chicken,
其中包括腌制雞肉,烤雞,
amassing it and preparing it to be transported to the lab.
收集樣本以及準備送到實驗室。
The second stage was completed at the Penn State University main campus lab,
第二步的完成是在賓州大的主校園實驗室,
which is where I extracted the chemicals,
也就是我提取化學物質的地方,
changed the PH so I could run it through the equipment
改變酸堿度,這樣我就可以通過設備
and separated the compounds I needed from the rest of the chicken.
從其余的雞肉中分離我所需的成分。
The final stages,when I ran the samples through a high-pressure liquid chromatography mass spectrometer,
最后一步是,當我把樣本經過高壓液相色譜質譜儀,
which separated the compounds and analyzed the chemicals
分開混和物質,并且分析其中的化學物質,
and told me exactly how much carcinogens I had in my chicken.
于是我能很準確得知道在雞肉中有多少致癌物。
So when I went through the data,I had very surprising results,
當分析數據時,我發現了很驚人的結果,
because I found that four out of the five marinating ingredients actually inhibited the carcinogen formation.
因為我發現五種腌制調料中有四種實際上能阻止致癌物的組成 。
When compared with the unmarinated chicken,which is what I used as my control,
當同沒有經過腌制的雞肉比較時,也就是我的控制樣本,
I found that lemon juice worked by far the best,which decreased the carcinogens by about 98 percent.
我發現檸檬汁目前是最有效的,能降低致癌物 達98%。
The saltwater marinade and the brown sugar marinade also worked very well,
鹽水腌制和紅糖腌制也同樣有效,
decreasing the carcinogens by about 60 percent.
能降低致癌物達60%。
Olive oil slightly decreased the PhIP formation,but it was nearly negligible.
橄欖油只能輕微的降低PhIP的組成,但是幾乎是微不足道的 。
And the soy sauce results were inconclusive because of the large data range,
醬油的實驗結果還是未知數,這是由于廣泛的數據范圍,
but it seems like soy sauce actually increased the potential carcinogens.
但是看上去,醬油實際上增加了潛在的致癌物。
Another important factor that I didn't take into account initially was the time cooked.
另一個我沒有事先預計在內的重要因素就是燒烤時間。
And I found that if you increase the time cooked,the amount of carcinogens rapidly increases.
我發現如果增加燒烤時間,致癌物將飛速的增長。
So the best way to marinate chicken,based on this,is to, not under-cook,
所以最好的腌制方式,根據這些(實驗結果)也就是,不要生煮,
but definitely don't over-cook and char the chicken,
但是一定不要煮過頭和烤過頭,
and marinate in either lemon juice, brown sugar or saltwater.
用檸檬汁,紅糖或者鹽水來腌制。
Based on these findings, I have a question for you.
根據這些發現,我有個問題想問你們。
Would you be willing to make a simple change in your diet that could potentially save your life?
你們會愿意在你的飲食上做個簡單的改變,由此可能會拯救你的生命?
Now I'm not saying that if you eat grilled chicken that's not marinated,
我并不是說如果你吃沒有經過腌制的烤雞 ,
you're definitely going to catch cancer and die.
你就一定會得癌癥然后死去。
However, anything you can do to decrease the risk of potential carcinogens can definitely increase the quality of lifestyle.
但是,你所做的任何事情 來降低潛在致癌物質的幾率,一定會增加你生活方式的質量。
Is it worth it to you? How will you cook your chicken now?
對你來說,這值得嗎? 現在你會怎么做雞肉呢?