Conversation A
對話A
Alex: Is taking messages really necessary? People can call back.
阿萊克斯:留話真的很重要嗎?人們可以打回電話來啊。
Linda: Yes. Taking messages is necessary, Alex! They might have important information for me.
琳達:阿萊克斯,留個話很重要!他們可能有重要的信息給我。
Alex: I guess so. What should I write in the messages?
阿萊克斯:我想也是。我留話要記錄些什么?
Linda: Write down people's names and phone numbers.
琳達:記下人們的名字和電話號碼。
Alex: I can do that.
阿萊克斯:這我可以做到。
Linda: You can also ask why they are calling.
琳達:你也可以問為什么他們打電話過來。
Alex: OK. I can write that in the message, too.
阿萊克斯:好的。我會在信息中記錄下這一點。
Conversation B
對話B
Ben: Hi, Alex. How was your day?
本:嗨,阿萊克斯。今天怎么樣?
Alex: It was OK. But I made a mistake. Now Linda is mad at me again.
阿萊克斯:還好吧。但是我犯了個錯誤。琳達又生我的氣了。
Ben: Really? What did you do?
本:真的嗎?你做了什么?
Alex: I watched the office when she went out.
阿萊克斯:她出去的時候我盯著辦公室來的。
Ben: She can't be mad about that!
本:她不會對這一點生氣的!
Alex: No. She's mad because she didn't receive her phone messages.
阿萊克斯:是啊。她很生氣是因為她沒有收到電話留言。
Ben: Why not?
本:為什么沒有?
Alex: I didn't take any messages.
阿萊克斯:我沒有幫她留話。
Conversation C
對話C
Ben: Why not?
本:為什么不留?
Alex: I wasn't sure how. But Linda showed me.
阿萊克斯:我不確定該怎么留話。但是琳達教了我。
Ben: I learned about phones today, too.
本:我今天也學到了和電話有關的事情。
Alex: What did you learn?
阿萊克斯:你學到了什么?
Ben: First, I learned to answer phones at work. Then I learned how to put people on hold.
本:首先,我學了回復工作相關的電話。然后我學會了怎么讓人不掛斷電話等候。
Alex: How do you do that?
阿萊克斯:你要怎么做呢?
Ben: You just say, "Please hold for a minute."
本:你只要說“請稍等一下”就可以了。
Alex: Now I can do that, too.
阿萊克斯:現在我也會了。