We were back at the house and Uncle Jeff parked the car.
我們回到屋里,杰夫叔叔把車停了下來。
I followed him into the house.
我跟著他進了房子。
"I'm pretty tired," he said.
“我很累,”他說。
"Let's start up again in the morning."
“我們早上再開始吧。”
I agreed. I was pretty tired, too.
我同意。我也很累。
Uncle Jeff stopped on his way down the hall to his bedroom and turned to me.
杰夫叔叔在去臥室的中途停下來,轉向我。
"Derrick, you know, when I saw that there was trouble, I should have told you to leave.
“德里克,當我看到有麻煩時,我就應該叫你離開。
I wasn't thinking.
我沒有考慮到。
The last thing I wanted was for you to see that corpse—especially a dead body in such a terrible condition. Are you okay?"
我最不想讓你看到的就是那具尸體——特別是如此糟糕情況下的尸體,你沒事吧?”
"Yeah, sure. It was pretty nasty, but I'm fine. Honestly."
“當然沒事,的確很糟糕,但我沒事,老實說。”
"I really hope so," he said. Suddenly, he made a face. "I hope your aunt doesn't find out about this."
“我真的希望如此,”杰夫叔叔說。突然,他做了個鬼臉。“我希望你姨媽不會發現這件事。”
"Yeah. Me, too," I said.
“是的,我也希望,”我說。
I went to my room and got ready for bed. I kept thinking about the case.
我回到房間準備睡覺。我一直在想這個案子。
I couldn't sleep. Finally, just when I started to nod off, I remembered something important.
我睡不著,最后,當我開始打瞌睡時,我想起了一件重要的事情。
I had forgotten my date with Jennifer!
我忘記了和詹妮弗的約會!
Even if I had remembered, I couldn't have gone to meet her at 8:30.
即使我記得,我也不可能在八點半去見她。
But now, she'll think I stood her up and just left her there waiting for me.
現在,她會認為我放她鴿子,讓她在那里等我。
And the worse part was I didn't have any way to get in touch with her to explain—no phone number, no email address.
更糟糕的是,我沒有辦法和她聯系,也沒有電話號碼,也沒有電子郵件地址。
I didn't even know her last name.
我甚至不知道她的姓。
Would I ever see her again?
我還會再見到她嗎?