The police arrived a half-hour later.
半小時后警察來了。
While we were waiting for them to get there, I sat with Clara Dunn in her office.
我和鄧恩教授坐在辦公室等著,
Uncle Jeff went into the dean's office to look around.
杰夫叔叔進院長辦公室四處看了看。
He came out when he heard the police arrive.
他聽到警察來了就出來了。
Over the next three hours, we sat and waited.
接下來的三個小時里,我們坐著等待。
The police officer in charge, Detective Cluso, questioned each of us separately.
負責案件的克魯索警官詢問了我們每個人。
My uncle went first, then Professor Dunn, then me.
杰夫叔叔先去,然后鄧恩教授,最后是我。
When Professor Dunn was out of the room,
鄧恩教授從詢問室出來時,
I wanted to ask my uncle how much I should tell the police.
我想問杰夫叔叔我應該告訴警察多少。
Should I tell them what she said?
我應該把鄧恩教授的話都告訴他們嗎?
Did she really confess to Dean Maurie's murder?
她真的會承認自己殺了毛里院長嗎?
But I couldn't ask him, because they had put a police officer in the room to watch us.
但我不能問杰夫叔叔,因為他們派了一名警察在房間里監視我們。
Finally, when I was called, I looked at my uncle.
最后,當叫到我的時候,我看了看杰夫叔叔。
He looked at me, gave me a weak smile, and nodded.
他看著我,微微一笑,點了點頭。
I knew what that meant. He wanted me to tell the truth, the whole truth.
我知道他的意思,他想讓我說出真相,全部真相。
I followed the police officer and I told Detective Cluso what I knew.
我跟著警察,并把我知道的全都告訴了克魯索警官。
I told him about Clara Dunn's visit to us the day before and what had happened when we found her here.
我跟他講了克拉拉·鄧恩前一天來我們這兒的事,還有我們在辦公室找到她時發生的事情。