"Clara might. For Clara, her job at California University is her life.
“可能是克拉拉,對克拉拉來說,加州大學的工作就是她的生活。
The thought of losing it, after being passed over for the dean's position, might have been too much for her.
沒有得到院長的職位可能讓她難以承受。
Maybe she snapped."
也許她失手了。”
"I don't get it," I said.
“我不明白,”我說。
"If she didn't get along with the dean, why was she worried about the threatening letters he received?
“如果她和院長相處不好,為什么擔心院長收到恐嚇信?
If she wanted him dead, she should have been happy about the letters, not worried about them."
如果她想讓院長死,她應該對這些信感到高興,而不是擔心。”
"That's a good question," he said. "I don't have a good answer. We need more information."
“這個問題問的好,”他說。“沒有一個好的答案,我們需要更多的信息。”
"There are also other people who might have wanted to harm him," I said.
“還有其他人可能想傷害他,”我說。
I told him what Ben had told me about the dean's womanizing.
我把本告訴我的院長的風流韻事,
I told him about his affair with Professor Diana Marcelo and about the rumor that he was sleeping with one of his students.
包括院長和戴安娜·馬塞洛教授的婚外情,還有他和一個學生睡覺的傳聞。
"Maybe the dean and Diana Marcelo had a fight and she killed him," I said.
“也許院長和戴安娜·馬塞洛吵架了,戴安娜·馬塞洛殺了院長,”我說。
"Maybe Diana Marcelo's husband found out about their relationship and he killed the dean.
“也許戴安娜·馬塞洛的丈夫發現了他們的關系,殺了院長。
Maybe he tried to break it off with the student he was having an affair with and she killed him."
也許院長想和那個和他有外遇的學生斷絕關系,結果學生殺了他。
"That's a lot of ‘maybes'," he said.
“有很多‘可能’,”他說。
"Let's not keep guessing. We need some facts."
“我們不要再猜了,我們需要找到一些事實。”