"But anybody could see that she was in shock," I said.
“但任何人都看得出鄧恩教授很震驚,”我說。
"She wasn't thinking straight.
“她的思路不是很清晰。
They can't blame her for calling a friend instead of the police."
警察不能怪她沒有給警察而是給朋友打電話。”
Uncle Jeff didn't say anything.
杰夫叔叔什么也沒說。
I looked sideways at him.
我在一旁看著他。
His eyes were on the road, but I could see that he was thinking.
杰夫叔叔眼睛看著路,但我看得出他在思考。
Finally, he said, "Clara is my friend, but I need to see the facts.
最后,他說:“克拉拉是我的朋友,但我相信事實。
I can't let my friendship with her change how I see this case," he paused.
我不能因為友誼改變我對這個案件的看法,”他停頓了一下。
"It's possible that she was in shock because she actually killed the dean."
“她當時很震驚,可能是因為她真的殺了院長。”
In the back of my mind, I knew this was true, but it was a shock to hear my uncle say it out loud.
在內心深處,我知道這是真的,但當我聽到杰夫叔叔大聲說出來時,我很震驚。
"You also don't know what I found out today," he continued.
“你不知道我今天發現了什么,”他繼續說。
"I spoke with a couple of professors in the department.
“我和系里的幾位教授談過。
The dean was hired six months ago.
毛里院長是6個月前聘用的。
Clara wanted that job.
克拉拉想要當院長。
She thought she deserved it and she was expecting to get it.
她認為自己理所當然是院長,她期待能如愿以償。
When she was passed over, she was very angry. She and Alan Maurie didn't get along.
當她錯失機會時,她很生氣。她和毛里院長關系不好。
There was talk that he was going to replace her."
有傳言說毛里院長將取代她。“
"But people don't kill for a job," I said, not wanting to believe what I was hearing.
“但人們不會為了一份工作而殺人,”我說,我不愿相信我聽到的。