Uncle Jeff turned to me and said, "I told your aunt that I'd try to keep you out of any danger.
杰夫叔叔轉身對我說:“我告訴過你姨媽,我會盡量不讓你受到任何危險,
This sounds like trouble to me."
你的安全是我的責任。”
"But you called me your assistant when Professor Dunn was here, remember?" I said.
“可是鄧恩教授來的時候你叫我助理,記得嗎?”我說。
"You can't promote me one day and then demote me the next."
“你不能一天提拔我,第二天又把我降級。”
"Okay, you can come, but you'll do what I say, okay? Deal?"
“好吧,你可以去,但你要照我說的去做,好嗎?”一言為定?”
"Deal."
“一言為定。”
We drove to the university. We didn't talk on the way.
我們開車去了學校,路上我們沒有交談。
I think we were both trying to imagine what could have happened.
我想我們都在試圖想象發生的事。
By the time we got to the university, it was six o'clock.
到學校已經六點鐘了。
No one was in the lobby of the office where the department secretary usually sat.
辦公室大廳里沒有人,這里是部門秘書坐的地方。
It was very quiet. Too quiet.
非常安靜,太安靜了。
We walked down the hallway to the group of offices in the back.
我們沿著走廊走到后面的辦公室。
Clara Dunn's office was at the end of the hall on the left and the dean's office was on the right.
克拉拉·鄧恩的辦公室在大廳的左邊,院長的辦公室在右邊。
We stopped when we got to Professor Dunn's office. Her door was open, but no one was there.
我們在鄧恩教授的辦公室門前停了下來,門開著,但沒人。
There were papers on the desk and her briefcase was on the floor next to her chair.
桌子上放著文件,她的公文包放在椅子旁邊的地板上。
It didn't look like she had gone home.
看起來她并沒有回家。