People typing. People breathing. Once in a while car from the outside.
打字聲,呼吸聲,偶爾外面傳來的汽車聲
And we would go crazy if we were always atune to everyithing that was going on. So it's good that we adapt.
如果我們什么都聽得見,我們會瘋的。所以適應性是件好事
That's why people can live literally on the highway and still fall asleep at night.
這就是為什么有些人住在高速公路旁邊,晚上還能睡得著
Because after a month or so, they stop hearing the cars there.
因為過了一兩個月,他們就聽不到汽車聲了
We have relatives in Concord, who live quite literally on top of the train.
我們有親戚住在協和地鐵站附近,可以說他們就住在地鐵站上方
And we went to visit him for dinner and a train passes by.
我們去他家吃晚飯,有輛地鐵經過
And you know the house shakes. And it's enormous noise.
房子震動了,聲音非常大
And you know, at the beginning of the time, we looked at each other, and he smiled.
一開始,我們看著對方,他笑了笑
And second time the train goes by. The house shakes and huge noise.
第二次地鐵經過時,房子又震動了,非常吵

And I couldn't help myself and said, "Dosen't that bother you?"
我禁不住問,"你不覺得煩嗎?"
And he said, "What?" He didn't know what I was talking. I said, "The train just passed."
他問"什么?"他不知道我在說什么。我說"地鐵剛經過"
He said, "Oh. We don't notice it anymore because it passes every half an hour or every 20 minutes."
他說,"我們現在都注意不到了,因為每隔二三十分鐘就有地鐵經過"
They don't notice it. So good thing that we can adapt.
他們沒注意到,所以適應性是好事
Also in terms of difficulty.
在困境也這樣
Personally the most difficult experience that I endured was on the 19th of September, in 19th of December, 1997 I was living in Singapore at the time.
我個人遭遇過最大的困境是1997。1997年9月19日,當時我住在新加坡
My best friend was coming over from Indonesia to visit me.
我最好的朋友從印尼過來看望我
The person who was the most important to me at that time and her plane crashed. SilkAir Flight MI 185.
那時她對我來說是世界上最重要的人,她的飛機墜毀了,勝安航空MI185