And in the local square, what would we see.
在廣場上,我們會看到一些景象。
Well, in western countries often you won't see anyone other than young people,
在西方國家,我們通常不會在廣場上看到年輕人以外的任何人,
because the squares are associated with alcohol and pubs and often they will be places that the very old and very young wouldn't go.
因為廣場和酒精以及酒吧有關,老年人和小孩子往往不會去這些地方。
But not so in China. We would see the line dancing.
但在中國不是這樣的。我們會在廣場上看到人們在跳舞。
In fact, we used to join in with various dancers dancing in the squares
事實上,我們常常加入到他們中間,
with the more senior experienced dancers at the front and the less experienced watching and taking the note
資深的舞者在前面,經驗不足的則在一旁看著,
and the children sitting there in front of them and the man sitting to the side playing chesses.
孩子們坐在他們前面,男人們坐在一旁下棋。
It was a wonderful picture. But what reminded us was that young people and children are the center of attention for the Chinese.
這是一個美好的畫面。但這提醒我們,對于中國人而言,年輕人和孩子是重點關注對象。
We know how investment in young people and in children pays off multiple multiple times if you can get it.
我們知道,如果在年輕人和孩子身上進行投資,你會得到好幾倍的回報。
And so, the fact that you would see children not just playing with other children,
你會看到孩子們不僅僅是在和其他孩子一起玩耍,
not just on their own, but actually surrounded by adults all fighting for the opportunity to look after the child.
不僅僅是自己玩耍,實際上他們被大人們包圍著,他們都在爭先恐后地照看孩子。
You realize this is very important in understanding China.
要了解中國,知道這一點非常重要。
They invest in their future. They invest in their children.
他們對自己的未來進行投資。他們對他們的孩子進行投資。
And you see that then reflected in education.
這一點在教育問題上得到了反映。