One day, she and I hosted a tricky client meeting.
有一天,我們一起主持一個有點兒棘手的客戶會議,
She navigated the discussion effectively, and after the clients left, I praised her effort.
期間她準確、高效地引導了討論方向。在客戶們離開后,我稱贊了她的努力。
She paused and said, "Thanks, but you must have ideas for me on what more I could have done."
她猶豫片刻然后說:“謝謝。不過,對于我還能做些什么,你肯定有一些更好的建議。”
"How can I do better?"
“我怎樣能做得更好?”
"What am I doing that I don't know?"
“有什么是我正在做但實際上我并不太懂的?”
"What am I not doing that I don't see?"
“有什么是我沒注意到而導致我沒有做好的?”
These questions can lead to many benefits.
提出這些問題會對你有很多好處。
And believe me, the truth hurts.
相信我,事實真相會帶來痛苦。
Even when I have solicited feedback, any judgment can feel harsh.
盡管當我收集到了反饋,任何批評的聲音聽起來都那么刺耳,
But the upside of painful knowledge is so much greater than the downside of blissful ignorance.
但知道真相的痛苦總比蒙在鼓里的快樂要有益得多。
Requesting advice can also help build relationships.
征求他人的建議還有助于人際關系的建立。
At Facebook, I knew that the most important determinant of my success would be my relationship with Mark.
在臉譜網,我知道自己成功的決定性因素就是與扎克伯格的關系。
When I joined, I asked Mark for a commitment that he would give me feedback every week so that anything that bothered him would be aired and discussed quickly.
剛加入臉譜網時,我就請扎克伯格承諾每周給我提供反饋,讓他困擾的任何問題都可以及時提出并共同討論。
Mark not only said yes but immediately added that he wanted it to be reciprocal.
他不僅答應了這個請求,而且馬上補充說他希望這是個互動的過程。
For the first few years, we stuck to this routine and voiced concerns big and small every Friday afternoon.
最初幾年里,我們堅持這樣做,每周五下午都會探討半天。
As the years went by, sharing honest reactions became part of our ongoing relationship.
隨著時光的流逝,真誠的互動已經成為我們工作的一部分。
Now we do so in real time rather than waiting for the end of the week.
現在我們不會專等周五,而是每天都會抽空交流。
I wouldn't suggest that all relationships need this much feedback—there is such a thing as asking for too much—but for us, it has been critically important.
我當然不是說所有的關系都需要這么多的交流反饋,但對我們來說,這個過程相當重要。