I love hearing my son explain to my daughter, "I'm sorry you're upset because you lost at Monopoly, but I'm older than you so I should win."
我很樂意聽到我的兒子對他妹妹解釋:“我很抱歉看到你因為輸了大富翁游戲而不高興,但我比你大,所以我應該贏。”
Not bad for a seven-year-old.
對一個7歲大的男孩來說,他表現得不錯
(Although Fred would caution my son to take out the "but" and everything after, since it tends to deny the preceding statement.
(盡管科夫曼教授會提醒我兒子把“但”字以及后面半句拿掉。
Imagine someone saying, "I really like you, but...")
想象一下有人對你說:“我真的很喜歡你,但……”)。
Being aware of a problem is the first step to correcting it.
首先要意識到問題,這是解決問題的開端。
It is nearly impossible to know how our actions are perceived by others.
至于別人對我們的做法究竟作何感受,的確是無從知曉。
We can try to guess what they're thinking, but asking directly is far more effective.
我們可以試著去猜測對方的想法,但直接詢問會更加有效。
With real knowledge, we can adjust our actions and avoid getting tripped up.
得到確切的回答后,我們就可以調整自己的行動,以避免出差錯。
Still, people rarely seek enough input.
話雖這么說,但人們極少會征詢他人的意見。
A few years ago, Tom Brokaw interviewed me for a piece on Facebook.
幾年前,湯姆·布羅考曾為撰寫一篇關于臉譜網的文章采訪我。
Tom is a magnificent interviewer, and I felt that I stumbled through some of my answers.
布羅考是位了不起的記者,我感覺自己在回答一些問題時有點結巴,
After we wrapped, I asked him how I could have done better.
結束時我請教他應該怎樣改進。
He seemed surprised by my question, so I asked him again.
他看上去很吃驚,于是我又問了一遍。
He then told me that in his entire career, I was only the second person to ask him for feedback.
他告訴我,他工作這么久以來,我是第二個向他征求反饋意見的人。
The strategy of soliciting input broadly was first demonstrated for me by Robert Rubin, secretary of the Treasury when I joined the department in 1996.
在這一點上,羅伯特·魯賓起了表率作用。1996年我加入美國財政部時,他任財政部部長。
During my first week there, I was invited to a meeting on restructuring the IRS.
我工作的第一周就被邀請參加一個關于重組美國國稅局的會議。