"Why not?" she replied.
“為什么不呢?”她回答說。
"Why, it is said that he never lets anyone come into his presence.
“啊,聽說他未接見過任何人。
I have been to the Emerald City many times, and it is a beautiful and wonderful place;
我去過翡翠城很多次,那兒的風景奇異而美麗;
but I have never been permitted to see the Great Oz, nor do I know of any living person who has seen him."
但是我從來沒有被允許去拜見偉大的奧芝,我也不知道有誰親眼看見過他。”
"Does he never go out?" asked the Scarecrow.
稻草人問:“難道他從來不出來嗎?”
"Never. He sits day after day in the great Throne Room of his Palace,
“從來不。他每天坐在他宮殿中的崇高寶座上,
and even those who wait upon him do not see him face to face."
即使那些侍奉他的人,也從沒有面對面地看過他。”
"What is he like?" asked the girl.
女孩子問:“他長得什么樣呢?”
"That is hard to tell," said the man thoughtfully.
“那就說不清楚了,”男人深沉地說。
"You see, Oz is a Great Wizard, and can take on any form he wishes.
“你要知道,奧芝是一個偉大的魔術家,他可以隨意變幻。
So that some say he looks like a bird; and some say he looks like an elephant; and some say he looks like a cat.
因此有人說他像一只鳥;有人說像一頭象;有人又說他像一只貓。
To others he appears as a beautiful fairy, or a brownie, or in any other form that pleases him.
對著另一些人,他像一個美麗的神仙出現著,或者像一個小神仙。總之,是他愿意變成什么,就能變成什么。
But who the real Oz is, when he is in his own form, no living person can tell."
然而,真正的奧芝,他原來的面貌,沒有一個人能夠說得出來。”
"That is very strange," said Dorothy,
多蘿茜說:“那真是奇怪透頂了,”
"but we must try, in some way, to see him, or we shall have made our journey for nothing."
“既然來了,我們就得想辦法試試看,否則,我們的旅行就毫無結果了。”
"Why do you wish to see the terrible Oz?" asked the man.
男人問:“你們為什么要去訪問那可怕的奧芝?”
"I want him to give me some brains," said the Scarecrow eagerly.
稻草人急切地說:“我請求他給我一個腦子。”
"Oh, Oz could do that easily enough," declared the man. "He has more brains than he needs."
“啊,那簡直不費吹灰之力,”男人肯定地說。“他有比他所需要的更多的腦子。”
"And I want him to give me a heart," said the Tin Woodman.
鐵皮人說:“我請求他給我一顆心。”
"That will not trouble him," continued the man, "for Oz has a large collection of hearts, of all sizes and shapes."
“那也不難,”男人繼續地說,“因為奧芝有一大堆各種形狀不一的大大小小的心。”
"And I want him to give me courage," said the Cowardly Lion.
膽小的獅子說:“我請求他給我一點膽量。”
"Oz keeps a great pot of courage in his Throne Room," said the man,
“在奧芝的皇宮里,藏著一大鍋的膽量,”男人說,
"which he has covered with a golden plate, to keep it from running over. He will be glad to give you some."
“他用一只金盆子蓋著,免得它們溜掉。他很樂意給你一點兒。”
"And I want him to send me back to Kansas." said Dorothy.
多蘿茜說:“我請求他把我送回堪薩斯州去。”