It is dangerous for patients to recover from heart attacks at home.
讓心臟病人在家康復是危險的。
They should be in hospital." And there's this uproar,
他們應該留在醫院里。”這引起了一片嘩然,
and all the doctors start pounding the table and saying, "We always said you were unethical, Archie.
醫生們開始拍桌子,說道:“我們一直說阿奇,你這樣做是不道德的。
You're killing people with your clinical trials. You need to shut it down now.
你在用臨床試驗殺人,你應該立刻停止。
Shut it down at once." And there's this huge hubbub. Archie lets it die down.
馬上停止。” 阿奇等這一陣大吵大嚷平息后,
And then he says, "Well that's very interesting, gentlemen, because when I gave you the table of results,
說:“先生們,真是很有意思,因為當我給你們看結果的時候,
I swapped the two columns around. It turns out your hospitals are killing people, and they should be at home.
我互換了這兩行資料,其實結果證明你們的醫院在殺人,病人應該在家恢復。
Would you like to close down the trial now, or should we wait until we have robust results?"
你們還想讓我停止試驗呢,還是希望等我們得到更確切的結果?”
Tumbleweed rolls through the meeting room.
會議室安靜下來。
But Cochrane would do that kind of thing.
阿奇喜歡做這樣的事情。
And the reason he would do that kind of thing is because he understood it feels so much better to stand there and say,
他喜歡這么做的原因是,他知道大家更喜歡站在那里說:
"Here in my own little world, I am a god, I understand everything. I do not want to have my opinions challenged.
“在我的小世界里,我是上帝,我懂得一切,我不希望有人挑戰我的觀點。
I do not want to have my conclusions tested."
我不需要有人來測試我的結論。”
It feels so much more comfortable simply to lay down the law.
簡單地定下法則,讓人感到更自在。
Cochrane understood that uncertainty, that fallibility, that being challenged, they hurt.
阿奇懂得那種不肯定,不可靠以及被挑戰的感覺,他們感到受傷。