It would be the same at the end of the journey,
到旅程的終點都一樣,
If you came at night like a broken king,
如果你像一位困頓的國王夤夜而來,
If you came by day not knowing what you came for,
如果你白天來又不知道你為何而來,
It would be the same, when you leave the rough road and turn behind the pig-sty to the dull facade and the tombstone.
那都一樣,當你離開崎嶇的小徑在豬欄后面拐向那陰暗的前庭和墓碑的時候。
And what you thought you came for is only a shell,
你原先以為是你此行的目的現在不過是意義的一層貝殼,
a husk of meaning from which the purpose breaks only when it is fulfilled
一層莢只要有什么目的能實現的話,目的才破殼而出。
If at all. Either you had no purpose
或者是你原先根本沒有目的
Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured
或者是目的在于你是想象的終點之外
And is altered in fulfilment.
而在實現的過程中已經改變。
There are other places which also are the world's end, some at the sea jaws,
另有一些地方也是世界的終點,有的在海的入口
Or over a dark lake, in a desert or a city -
或者在一片黑暗的湖上,在沙漠中或者在一座城市里——
But this is the nearest, in place and time,
但是在地點和時間上,這里是最近的地方,
Now and in England.
現在和在英格蘭。

If you came this way,
如果你到這里來,
Taking any route, starting from anywhere,
不論走哪條路,從哪里出發,
At any time or at any season,
在哪個地方或哪個季節,
It would always be the same: you would have to put off sense and notion.
那都是一樣:你必須拋開感覺和思想。
You are not here to verify,
你到這里來不是為了證明什么,
Instruct yourself, or inform curiosity or carry report.
教誨自己,或者告訴什么新奇的事物或者傳送報告。
You are here to kneel where prayer has been valid.
你到這里來是到祈禱一向是正當的地方來俯首下跪。
And prayer is more than an order of words,
祈禱不只是一種話語,
the conscious occupation of the praying mind, or the sound of the voice praying.
祈禱者頭腦的清醒的活動,或者是祈求呼告的聲音。
And what the dead had no speech for, when living,
死者活著的時候,無法以言詞表達的,
They can tell you, being dead:
他們作為死者能告訴你:
the communication of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living.
死者的交流思想超乎生者的語言之外是用火表達的。
Here, the intersection of the timeless moment is England and nowhere. Never and always.
這里,無始無終的瞬間的交叉點是英格蘭,而不是任何其他地方。決不而且永遠。