So I assumed a double part, and cried
因此我反復了一個雙重角色,一面喊叫
And heard another's voice cry: 'What! are you here?'
一面又聽另一個人喊叫:“啊!你在這里?”
Although we were not. I was still the same,
盡管我們都不是。我還是我,
Knowing myself yet being someone other —
但我知道我自己已經成了另一個人——
And he a face still forming;
而他只是一張還在形成的臉;
yet the words sufficed to compel the recognition they preceded.
但語言已足夠強迫他們承認曾經相識。
And so, compliant to the common wind,
因此,按照一般的風尚,
Too strange to each other for misunderstanding,
雙方既然素昧平生也就不可能產生誤會,

In concord at this intersection time of meeting nowhere, no before and after,
我們在這千載難逢,沒有以前也沒有以后的
We trod the pavement in a dead patrol.
交叉時刻和諧地漫步在行人道上作一次死亡的巡邏。
I said: 'The wonder that I feel is easy,
我說:“我感到驚異是那么輕松安適,
Yet ease is cause of wonder. Therefore speak:
然而輕松正是驚異的原因。所以說,
I may not comprehend, may not remember.'
我也許并不理解,也許不復記憶。”
And he: 'I am not eager to rehearse my thought and theory which you have forgotten.
他卻說:“我的思想和原則已被你遺忘,我不想再一次詳細申訴。
These things have served their purpose: let them be.
這些東西已經滿足了它們的需要:由它們去吧。
So with your own, and pray they be forgiven by others, as I pray you to forgive both bad and good.
你自己的也是這樣,祈求別人寬恕它們吧,就像我祈求你寬恕善與惡一樣。