On my first night there in 2005, I was in the lounge with two close friends,
2005年峰會的第一個晚上,我在酒店大廳與兩位好友相聚,
Diana Farrell, then head of the McKinsey Global Institute, and Sue Decker, then CFO of Yahoo.
他們是時任麥肯錫全球研究院院長的黛安娜·法雷爾和時任雅虎首席財務官的休·德克爾。
We were talking about the name of the conference, and I mentioned that when I saw the title on Google's corporate calendar,
我們聊起了會議的名稱。我提到當看到谷歌日歷上的標題時,
I ran to find Camille to ask her to change the name to "Fortune Women's Conference."
我立刻去找行政助理卡米爾,要她將會議名稱改為“財富女人會”。
Diana and Sue laughed and said that they had done the exact same thing.
法雷爾和德克爾都大笑起來,說她們當時的反應和我一樣。
Later, Pattie explained that she and her colleagues chose this name on purpose
后來,塞勒斯解釋道,她之所以選擇這樣一個名稱是有意而為之。
to force women to confront their own power and feel more comfortable with that word.
她要推動女性直面自己的力量,慢慢適應“強”這個詞,并且以“強”為榮。
I still struggle with this.
我依然接受不了這個詞。
I am fine applying the word "powerful" to other women—the more the better,
將“強”這個詞用到其他女人身上我毫無意見——而且是越多越好,
but I still shake my head in denial when it is applied to me.
但對于將這個詞用到自己身上,我還是搖頭表示無法贊同。
The nagging voice in the back of my head reminds me, as it did in business school,
就像還在哈佛商學院時那樣,我的腦子里不斷響起一個聲音提醒著我,
"Don't flaunt your success, or even let people know about your success.
“不要夸耀你的成功,甚至不要讓人們知道你的成功。
If you do, people won't like you."
一旦這樣做了,人們就不會再喜歡你?!?/div>
Less than six months after I started at Facebook, Mark and I sat down for my first formal review.
在我加入臉譜網不到6個月時,扎克伯格和我進行了第一次正式的工作總結。
One of the things he told me was that my desire to be liked by everyone would hold me back.
他告訴我,想要“贏得每個人的喜歡”這種想法會阻礙我的發展。
He said that when you want to change things, you can't please everyone.
他說,當你想要讓事情有所改變時,你不可能取悅每個人;
If you do please everyone, you aren't making enough progress. Mark was right.
而如果你去取悅每個人,你就不會獲得充分的進步。扎克伯格說得很對。