Both male and female colleagues often resist working with a woman who has negotiated for a higher salary
不管是男性還是女性都會拒絕和一個討價還價、爭取更高薪水的女性共事,
because she's seen as more demanding than a woman who refrained from negotiating.
因為她看起來比那些不愛談判的女性更為苛刻。
Even when a woman negotiates successfully for herself, she can pay a longer-term cost in goodwill and future advancement.
甚至當一個女性為自己的成功談判時,她在信譽和未來晉升方面付出的將是長期成本。
Regrettably, all women are Heidi. Try as we might, we just can't be Howard.
遺憾的是,我們都是“海蒂”,不管多么努力,我們都無法成為“霍華德”。
When I was negotiating with Facebook's founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg for my compensation,
當年我與臉譜網創始人、首席執行官馬克·扎克伯格商談我的報酬時,
he made me an offer that I thought was fair.
他提出了讓我覺得很公平的條件。
We had been having dinner several nights a week for more than a month and a half,
有超過一個半月的時間,我們每周都會在一起吃晚餐,
discussing Facebook's mission and his vision for the future.
討論公司的使命以及未來的愿景。
I was ready to accept the job. No, I was dying to accept the job.
如此看來,我已經準備接受這份工作了,不,應該說我非常渴望接受這份工作。
My husband, Dave, kept telling me to negotiate,
丈夫戴夫一直鼓勵我要繼續談條件,
but I was afraid of doing anything that might botch the deal.
但我害怕弄巧成拙。
I could play hardball, but then maybe Mark would not want to work with me.
我可以表現得很強硬,但如果那樣做,也許扎克伯格就不想與我一起工作了。
Was it worth it when I knew that ultimately I was going to accept the offer? I concluded it was not.
既然我知道自己最終會接受這份工作,那么一再為自己爭取利益是否值得呢?我得出的結論是,不值得。
But right before I was about to say yes, my exasperated brother-in-law, Marc Bodnick, blurted out,
正當我準備點頭時,我的妹夫馬克·博德尼克惱火地說:
"Damn it, Sheryl! Why are you going to make less than any man would make to do the same job?"
“謝麗爾,同樣的工作,你為什么要比男人掙得少呢?”
My brother-in-law didn't know the details of my deal.
博德尼克并不清楚談判的細節,
His point was simply that no man at my level would consider taking the first offer. This was motivating.
他只是想強調,和我水平相當的男人才不會像我一樣接受那樣的薪酬待遇。這大大地鼓勵了我。