I went back to Mark and said that I couldn't accept, but I prefaced it by telling him,
我又回去找扎克伯格,告訴他我也許不能接受這份工作,但開場白是這樣的:
"Of course you realize that you're hiring me to run your deal teams, so you want me to be a good negotiator.
“扎克伯格,我明白你很想雇用我來管理你的市場團隊,所以你當然希望我是個優秀的談判者。
This is the only time you and I will ever be on opposite sides of the table."
這是你和我之間唯一一次面對面的談判。”
Then I negotiated hard, followed by a nervous night wondering if I had blown it.
之后我便在交談中略顯強硬。當晚,我心情緊張,擔心自己會把事情搞砸。
But Mark called me the next day.
但第二天扎克伯格就打電話給我,
He resolved the gap by improving my offer,
說接受我提出的條件:
extending the terms of my contract from four to five years and allowing me to buy into the company as well.
他將我的合同期限從4年延長到5年,并且同意我成為公司股東。
His creative solution not only closed the deal, but also set us up for a longer-term alignment of interests.
這么做彌合了我們之間的分歧,他頗有創意的解決方案讓我們的利益有了更長遠的關聯。
The goal of a successful negotiation is to achieve our objectives and continue to have people like us.
談判成功的目標是既要達到預期,又要繼續讓別人喜歡自己。
Professor Hannah Riley Bowles, who studies gender and negotiations at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government,
哈佛大學肯尼迪政府學院研究性別與談判的漢娜·鮑爾斯教授認為,
believes that women can increase their chances of achieving a desired outcome by doing two things in combination.
女性可以通過將這兩個目標結合到一起,來提高談判的成功概率。
First, women must come across as being nice, concerned about others, and "appropriately" female.
首先,女性給他人的印象應該是有親和力的、關心他人的,要有“恰到好處”的女人味。
When women take a more instrumental approach ("This is what I want and deserve"), people react far more negatively.
而當女性采用一種較為功利的態度時(“這就是我想要的,也是我應得的”),人們會比較反感。
There is a saying, "Think globally, act locally."
套用一句老話:“思考全球化、行動本土化。”
When negotiating, "Think personally, act communally."
在談判時,要做到“思考個人化,行動公共化”。