"Oh, I see," said the Tin Woodman.
“啊,原來是這樣,”鐵皮人說,
"But after all, brains are not the best things in the world."
“但是腦子并不是世上最好的東西。”
"Have you any?" inquired the Scarecrow.
“你有腦子嗎?”稻草人問。
"No, my head is quite empty." answered the Woodman.
“不,我也沒有,”鐵皮人回答道。
"But once I have brains, and a heart also; so having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart."
“但是我從前是有腦子的,還有一顆心,經過比較后,我寧愿有一顆心。”
"And why is that?" asked the Scarecrow.
稻草人問:“為什么呢?”
"I will tell you my story, and then you will know."
“你若是知道我的故事,你就會明白的。”
So while they were walking through the forest, the Tin Woodman told the following story:
當他們穿過這樹林時,鐵皮人就告訴他自己的故事,
"I was born the son of a woodman who chopped down trees in the forest and sold the wood for a living.
“我是出生在樵夫家。父親在樹林里砍伐樹木,賣柴薪過活。
When I grew up, I too became a woodchopper, and after my father died I took care of my old mother as long as she lived.
我長大后,也做了一個樵夫。在父親去世以后,我一直照顧著我的老母親直到她也離我而去。
Then I made up my mind that instead of living alone I would marry, so that I might not become lonely.
后來我決定結婚結束單身漢的生活,這樣我就不會寂寞了。
There was one of the Munchkin girls who was so beautiful that I soon grew to love her with all my heart.
有一個美麗動人芒奇金的女孩,我全心愛著她。
She, on her part, promised to marry me as soon as I could earn enough money to build a better house for her, so I set to work harder that ever.
她答應等我為她造一所好一些的屋子以后,就嫁給我;因而我更加辛苦地工作了。
But the girl lived with an old woman who did not want her to marry anyone,
但是這個女子和一個老婦人同住,老婦人不希望把女兒嫁給任何人,
for she was so lazy she wished the girl to remain with her and do the cooking and housework.
因為她很懶惰,她想留下女兒繼續為自己煮飯做家務。
So the old woman went to the Wicked Witch of the East,
所以這個老婦人請求東方壞女巫幫助,
and promised her two sheep and a cow if she would prevent the marriage.
阻止這場婚姻并答應酬謝她兩只羊和一頭牛。
Thereupon the Wicked Witch enchanted my axe,
于是女巫在我的斧頭上,施了妖術。