Given how fast the world moves today, grabbing opportunities is more important than ever.
考慮到當今世界發展速度之快,抓住機會就顯得尤為重要。
Few managers have the time to carefully consider all the applicants for a job, much less convince more reticent people to apply.
主管經理很少會有時間仔細地考察每個申請職位的人,他們更不會去說服沉默謹慎的人申請職位。
And increasingly, opportunities are not well defined but, instead, come from someone jumping in to do something.
而且,“機會”也越來越難以被確切地定義。相反,機會正是來自一個人對某件事的全情投入,
That something then becomes his job.
而這件事隨后就會成為他的工作內容。
When I first joined Facebook, I was working with a team to answer the critical question of how best to grow our business.
在我剛加入臉譜網時,我與手下的團隊討論過一個關鍵的問題:“我們打算做的業務是什么?”
The conversations were getting heated, with many people arguing their own positions strongly.
許多人都堅持己見,于是討論變得十分熱烈。
We ended the week without consensus.
一個星期過去了,意見仍沒有達成一致。
Dan Rose, leader of our deal team, spent the weekend gathering market data that allowed us to reframe the conversation in analytics.
我們的首席談判代表丹·羅斯用整個周末來搜集市場數據,以便讓我們從分析的角度來重新組織討論。
His effort broke the logjam.
他的努力打破了僵局,
I then expanded Dan's responsibilities to include product marketing. Taking initiative pays off.
然后我擴大了他的職責范圍,讓他管理產品營銷和交易團隊。如此來看,在工作上積極主動一定會帶來回報。
It is hard to visualize someone as a leader if she is always waiting to be told what to do.
如果一個人總是等著別人告訴自己該做什么,我們就很難設想他能成為領導別人的人。
Padmasree Warrior, Cisco's chief technology officer, was asked by The Huffington Post,
美國思科公司的首席技術官帕德瑪錫·華萊爾曾被《赫芬頓郵報》問及:
"What's the most important lesson you've learned from a mistake you've made in the past?"
“你從過去所犯錯誤中學到的最重要的教訓是什么?”
She responded, "I said no to a lot of opportunities when I was just starting out because I thought,
她回答說:“當我剛起步時,我拒絕過很多機會,因為當時我想
'That's not what my degree is in' or 'I don't know about that domain.'
‘我這個水平還勝任不了這項工作’或是‘我對這個領域還不了解’。
In retrospect, at a certain point it's your ability to learn quickly and contribute quickly that matters.
現在回想起來,在某個特定時期,迅速學習并做出成績的能力才是最重要的。