When I don't feel confident, one tactic I've learned is that it sometimes helps to fake it.
當感覺不到自信時,我告訴你一個竅門,就是要假裝自信。有時候這招很管用。
I discovered this when I was an aerobics instructor in the 1980s
這個訣竅是我在20世紀80年代教健美操時發現的
(which meant a silver leotard, leg warmers, and a shiny headband, all of which went perfectly with my big hair).
(你可以想象我穿著銀色的緊身衣、暖腿襪套、發套——這些和我的大蓬頭非常相配)。
Influenced by the gospel of Jane Fonda, aerobics also meant smiling solidly for a full hour.
受簡·方達信條的影響,練習健美操意味著得整整一個小時保持微笑。
Some days, the smile came naturally.
有些時候,笑容是自然流露的;
Other days, I was in a lousy mood and had to fake it.
有些時候,我心情很糟糕,就不得不假笑。
Yet after an hour of forced smiling, I often felt cheerful.
不過,在強迫自己微笑一個小時后,我常常會覺得快樂了許多。
Many of us have experienced being angry with someone and then having to pretend everything's great in public.
我們中許多人都有過這樣的經歷:正生著某人的氣時,又必須馬上在眾人面前裝出“一切都很好”的樣子。
My husband, Dave, and I have our moments, and just when we are getting into it, it will be time to go to a friend's house for dinner.
我和丈夫戴夫就有過這種體會。有一次,當我們兩人之間因爭吵而導致氣氛逐漸緊張時,突然發現不得不去一個朋友家吃晚飯。
We put on our "everything's great" smiles, and amazingly, after a few hours, it often is.
于是,我們便掛上“一切都很好”的假笑容。奇妙的是,在幾個小時后,之前的不快都自動消散,一切似乎真的已經變好了。
Research backs up this "fake it till you feel it" strategy.
現有的研究都很支持這種“假裝自信,直到變得自信”的策略。
One study found that when people assumed a high-power pose (for example, taking up space by spreading their limbs) for just two minutes,
一項研究表明,當人們采取大幅度的動作時(比如肢體的伸展運動),只要持續兩分鐘,
their dominance hormone levels (testosterone) went up and their stress hormone levels (cortisol) went down.
主導力的荷爾蒙水平(即睪酮,男性荷爾蒙的一種)就會上升,而壓力荷爾蒙水平(即皮質醇)就會下降,
As a result, they felt more powerful and in charge and showed a greater tolerance for risk.
從而讓人感到自己更有力量、更有責任感,也更愿意承擔風險。
A simple change in posture led to a significant change in attitude.
這說明,簡單的姿勢變化會讓態度產生重要的變化。